What's new

Got the TV...now the player (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
A month away from the HD-A2's.

But I am getting impatient. I am looking (again) to get the best player for the least money. Any chance I can get a deal on the A1's with the A2's on the way? I have a 360, but I am not liking what I am hearing, from that piece of equipment. Better to pay a little more for a standalone player. Unless someone knows something I don't :)

Anyways, any info on what the A2 is bringing to the table for $500. I am fairly certain I could get a A1 for $375-400. Which would be 4-5 movies in savings from the A2.

Getting the A1 would let me watch HD this weekend as well :) But I can wait if the price is right, and there are advantages to doing so.

Many thanks for the assists,
Chuck

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I would get the A1 now especially if you have analog inputs on your receiver. The analogs have been deleted from the A2 so you wouldn't get Dolby TrueHd from that player unless you have an hdmi receiver. The new player will have a quicker boot time and different cosmetics but not enough for you to wait if you have analog inputs on your current receiver.

I'd say go for the A1 at a better price now and start enjoying hd dvd :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have a DSP-A1, so to that sounds like solid advice. I was planning to upgrade the receiver next year (well, it'll be a downgrade...as I'll be getting a cheaper, but more technologically advanced piece of equipment). That gives me several months with the DSP-A1.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I would get the A1 now....but, it's pretty slow loading Chuck! :) I'm sure they've fixed this for Gen.2 hardware but it's rather slow. You'll have time to pop some popcorn, pour a beverage, cuddle up with the wife, then it will be ready for viewing. :D...

I also think the A1 looks better. Call me crazy but I like the bigger design. Looks retro. Love it.

New TV, aquire Batman Begins, and get that player!

:)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yep, go grab the A-1. Sure, the load times are a little long, but the analog inputs make it superior to the A-2, in my opinion. You can find it for around $400 if you look around.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Chuck,

I also have a DSP-a1 and recently got the HD A1 shipped for about $450 - with the 10% discount and free shipping from Amazon. Plus I get 10% off all the HD dvd movies I purchase for a year. Deals!!

I have to say the combination is wicked but using the HD A1 as the sound processor via the 5.1 analog inputs, I had to really adjust down all 5 volume inputs (Front center and rears) on the HD A1 and turn my sub up quite a bit to get the levels to match on the SPL. You may want to be aware of that if you purchase.

The slow load times do not generally bother me as my TV usually takes about 30 seconds to turn on (Samsung DLP) so the extra few seconds really isn't too concerning. I understand that the 2.0 upgrade cuts the load times a bit, maybe the 2.1 upgrade will cut them even more.

I did a review of the player in the reveiw section if you are interested in some additional comments about how the player sounded.

Regards and happy shopping.

Dave

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Chuck,
Abt electronics has the A1 NEW for $371 with free shipping if you use the FALL2006 discount code. They are an authorized dealer.

That's the best price from an authorized reseller I've seen.

The analog outs are the main reason to buy one right now.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
When Chuck gets his new TV setup with his soon to be bad boy HD-A1....we're not going to hear from him for days. :D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Price not there today :frowning: Had to wait for a paycheck, and it hurt. Back to a stingy price at ABT, and out of stock at Amazon for free shipping. The wheel turns however, and the nice prices will come back around. I appreciate the heads-up, though. Curse my fate!!!

Yes, BB will be the first thing I stick in the player. No doubt.

Thanks,
Chuck

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Chuck, I just checked Amazon and they can ship it for a total of $417.88? Not bad....The $371 deal was amazing....but I would jump on this one.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Ordered from buydig with free shipping. I have to wait for 10 days, but got it for $370. Off to choose which three discs from Amazon will be waiting for it :)

Well, which two besides Batman Begins :)

Thanks for all of the help,
Chuck

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I loved Robin Hood and The Searchers however you may not care for the classic movies.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Great news Chuck! How about

Serenity
The Bourne Supremacy

Great image and sound and great films to boot...:)

Can't wait to hear your review.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Phantom looks gorgeous!

Sahara looks great too....average at best film. ;)

Corpse Bride also looks marvelous and a good movie...

Another solid choice is Backdraft. This one surprised me on how good the the image was. Excellent film too.

Have fun! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks