Got the Sony KD-34XS955 for $1450

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert Burkes, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

So...I just got back from Best Buy, and they had this 34" TV priced incorrectly. I fought long and hard, and after a couple of calls to Best Buy's corporate offices, they honored the price of $1450 (supposed to be $1999). I'm feeling empowered and very happy with my purchase, but since it was kind of an impulse buy, I wanted to get all of your opinions on it. This is a good price for a new KD-34XS955, isn't it? What do you guys think of the TV? I've glanced this one and the XBR model over many times and have always loved them. Any problems for which I should be looking?

The thing that really made my night is that they (two managers) told me this price was below cost (their reason for fighting with me so much over the price). Then, when they were finally instructed by the corporate office to honor the price, they rang up the TV. Receipts started printing, and they both stared at each other and then at me. "It came with a $100 rebate." I couldn't help but laugh. I also saved $60 buy purchasing the reward zone card. I'm feeling pretty good. What do you all think about this?

Edit - One last question: I didn't purchase a stand for the TV. Will having the left and right edge of the set hang off the edge of my table a few inches hurt anything? I have yet to find a stand or table to my liking.

2. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

So...I'm having a couple of problems with the TV. For starters, in the upper left corner of the screen, horizontal lines, such as those in the on-screen menus, dip down. Also, there are two dark, very thin, almost hair-thin, horizontal lines on the screen. It looks like there's just a little extra space between the pixels. Is there anything I could do in service menus or something to fix any of this? Will these problems work themselves out as I break in the TV? Should I exchange for another? Please help me out here. This is my first HDTV, and I'm kind of freaking out about these problems. Thanks for any help.
    Rob

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

The 2 lines are actually wires. They help provide support for the weight of the tube. A lot of people notice these on Sony big picture tubes and think it's a problem.