Got the perfect speaker stand filling material:

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kenneth Harden, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Webmaster: this is related to a thread I started last week, but it turned into a pro/anti-lead debate, so I consider it to be 'dead' now.

------------------

I went to Home Depot and asked the guy what sort of sand has little dust (so it won't 'seep' out if the stand moves/tips or anything) and he said to use the sand blasting sand. It is silica, and it is filtered to 30 size (I guess the mesh used to sort it), and is washed, and because of the application, it has almost no dust at all. It is much better than playground sand.

I filled my stands, made sure to 'tap' them to get the sand to settle, and when I knocked on it, OUCH!!! It is like knocking on a piece of construction equiptment. It is solid, NO GIVE AT ALL, like a 1" thick piece of plate steel. The stands are about 40 pounds each now, and they seem to be doing their job.

Anyway, it was a 50 pound bag, and cost $3.50.

Just something to keep in mind.

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Ken,

Thanks for posting this, buddy! [​IMG][​IMG] What a great idea. You're right; it is the perfect material.

Of course, my favorite part:

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

My mom just 'knocked' on the side of the stands and her jaw dropped. [​IMG]

Seriously, think kicking the side of a concrete colum on a football stadium.

Anyway, I will ship the remaining 30ish pounds of sand to whoever wants it. Just $1 and you pay S&H [​IMG]