What's new

Got the No Doubt Video Collection DVD tonite... (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Videos look great, EXCEPT for the fact that they could have anamorphically encoded the WS ones. Some like Hella Good appear to be 2:35-1...!!! So on a 16x9 set unless you have decent zoom capabilities... ack.
AND only a DD 2.0 surround trk... No 5.1 which seems silly if they're gonna encode the rears without vocals meaning it's not just a delay, then why not 5.1?? No PCM...

Overall, pretty good. It's just that music video comps. often seem to get stiffed somehow...

:) D

and my copy is apparently defective. Bloody hell. The Excuse Me Mr. audio levels are ALL over the place. In and out... Loud then soft... surround then none...

Hope it's just my copy and not the discs... I LIKE that damn tune!

edited again... audio levels are inconsistent. Simple kind of Life sounds twice as loud as modt of the others...
sigh... I hope it's just my copy. Will know soon...

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
It's possible that a video like "Hella Good" doesn't even exist at a higher resolution. I don't have any specific knowledge of this project, but a lot of music videos are going to be finished and delivered from the post facility at SD resolution (letterboxed in this case), and that's just how the video lives -- unless someone goes back later and has the post house work on the project *again* at the higher resolution. (This may necessitate a new HD transfer.)

This is starting to change now that awareness of HD is building. The new Beastie Boys video actually was finished in HD, an occurrence that's still uncommon enough that a press release was issued about it.

-bf-

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's my life is included. And My friend's copy has the same defect. and I don't think an HD master HAS to exist to encode anamorphically. Many DVD's are 16x9 without having HD remasters. Like my Queen Greatest Flix DVD's... Can anyone with more knowledge clarify??

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I think the problem with making the w/s videos anamorphic is that that'd be a mix and match on the "Play All". Personally I haven't seen any DVD which has, say, a 4:3 documentary that anamorphically-encodes w/s clips.

I got basically the same DVD on the Boom Box Limited Edition set. The picture quality is absolutely superb IMHO. And is the sound 2.0 Surround? Surely it's just 2.0 stereo...?

CraigL

Screenwriter
Dave,

Different masters are used for different videos which accounts for the varying volumes. Sure, they should average them all out during mastering but sometimes it just doensn't happen. If you watch the second Madonna video collection, Beautiful Stranger is MUCH louder than all the rest.

Sometimes it happens.

Video compilations are really treated like shit for the artists I like. I just bought the Sarah McLachlan DVD single for Fallen and Stupid. Fallen is 2.35:1 and Stupid is 1.85:1. Non-anamorphic.

Just the way it goes. I'm surprised you're surprised. ;)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I'm just surprised that they are STILL released so shoddily. I mean, they spend a small FORTUNE on these damn clips now. And my Queen GVH2 is anamorphic except for the "Invisible Man" clip which for some reason isn't. So they can be mixed and matched.
Aside from differing audio levels, the "excuse me Mr." audio is defective. It starts out very low for about 45 secs. and then snaps in louder.
I mean, doesn't anyone watch these things when they're done..??
Other than that, Gwen looks smoking...

:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks