Got the new studio v3's – why can’t I tell any difference between receiver & amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert Posey, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Robert Posey

Robert Posey Agent

Mar 4, 2002
    Posted this in the speaker section. Probably belongs here.

OK, first off I have only had them for a week, so they are not "broken in" yet but still sound very good. 100's in the front, 40's in the rear & just picked up the cc470 center yesterday. My Paradigm dealer loaned me a v2 center and a 5 x 225 Sunfire amp to try out until my new center arrived.

The first couple of days I ran the all using my Sony 777es (120 x 5) receiver. They sounded great to me that way. For the last 6 days I have been using the 777 as a pre-pro and the Sunfire for power – equally great sounding. I thought I would hear a noticeable difference between the receiver & amp, but I have not. Everyone says the studios need a lot of power, but I haven’t seen it. Could it be the new version is more efficient? Still no info. on the Paradigm web site.

Trying to keep the db level lower than 100 at my listening position (to save my hearing), but it is hard to do, because they beg to be turned up – the sound seems a little thin at lower volumes – maybe not enough break in time?

I will continue listening with the receiver today to compare. Maybe at lower listening levels (below 100db), all I need is the Sony.

Anyone have a similar experience?
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    I've NI on their sensitivity but it just might have something to with you not taxing the capabilities of your receiver and the fact that the Paradigm's present a friendly load to your receiver. I take it you've done the calibration routine and all that. Perhaps though, with certain sources, and a desire to listen more loudly, you'll find some audible signs of clipping. Keep playing. That was nice of your dealer to loan you the stuff.