What's new

Got the lex mc-1 / getting rid of denon 4802 (1 Viewer)

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

"Are you telling me the Lexicon applies Bass management to the LFE channel? "

Yes, the DC-1, DC-2 and MC-1 do as outlined above. The MC-12 works differently.

"Why would a pre/pro high pass LFE information?"

Don't know what their reasoning is but having a low pass on the LFE channel isn't a bad idea. There are DTS soundtracks which have material up to around 500hz on them. Most people with passive subs wouldn't want that attempted to be reproduced by their sub.

Not that it applies to the DC-1,DC-2 and MC-1 but when you get into DVD-A and SACD the LFE channel is actually just a sixth full range channel. Again, having a low pass to the sub isn't a bad idea here either or it may be trying to reproduce a full range signal. Not a good thing. For this reason I wish them MC-12 had a low pass available on the LFE sub out.

John,

Yes, that setup should give your some of the Bass Enhance effect. Space your SVS subs as widely as possible. Also have your center set to 120hz if you don't already. Then just give it a try listening to different material and see how it goes.

Shawn

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Any body got any ideas about a cheap suitable crossover ?? that has l/r in/outs.

Phillips fact sheet also says for bass enhance, that all though unconventional that moving your full range fronts to the side and your 80hz sides to front is a good idea if the sides match your center. I dont think I could bring myself to move my beloved 2.9s to the side.

I can move the svs's so there directly behind each 2.9 speaker which would be about 9 feet apart in the front.

I turned off all my other speakers except my two back channels last night just so I could hear whats being sent. The independent sounds coming from each rear speaker was amazing, truly 7.1 sound.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Will,

If you set your sub at 40hz, isn't the DC1 redirecting the 40-120hz LFE to your mains?

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
John,
A Paradigm X-30 might work though I'm not sure that its sub outs are stereo and I don't know how flexible these are with regards to crossover frequency and such.
Marchand Electronics XM-9 is a very well regarded unit.
http://www.marchandelec.com/
I use one of their XM-16s to bi-amp my center and have been very pleased with it.
The Audio Control Richter Scale is another fairly popular unit. They work well though the crossover has an *enourmous* turn on/off transient. You could seriously damage your subs if you turned it on or off when your other amps were on. I leave mine on all the time because of this.
The Marchand units do not have any turn on/off transients so for that reason alone I'd recommend them over the Audio Control. Their damping control probably makes the blend at the crossover point quite a bit easier to achieve too.
"I can move the svs's so there directly behind each 2.9 speaker which would be about 9 feet apart in the front."
The wider the better.
"The independent sounds coming from each rear speaker was amazing, truly 7.1 sound."
Yup, as you go on you will find material that will do pans around your room going through each and every speaker. Even when the source was just 2 channel.
Have fun,
Shawn

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Thanks Shawn, the paradigm x-30 would be better priced to me. The funny thing is I used to own one and sold it but I dont remember if it had stereo outs, anybody know for sure ?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
John,

The x30 only has mono subouts, you'd need two of them. There's an easier solution: instead of spending $200-300 on 1-2 external crossovers, just sell your VS2.4a for ~ $300 and pickup a pair of NHT 2.5i towers for the sickly low $595/pair at 6ave.com before they run out.

For those unfamiliar, NHT 2.5i are 3way towers, retail $1300, with 8inch woofer and spec +/- 3dB to ~ 33hz. Hence, 2.5s can be crossed over at 40hz and would make great Lexicon/BE sides! Not to mention they sonically match John's front soundstage: NHT 2.9s and AC2.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Yea Ricky, if I could just get my wife to move them plants,chairs and other stuff she has completely out of the room I would be set::frowning:
I have been eyeballing the 2.5 option anyway...hmm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks