Got the Klipsch 35's waiting on the SVS

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BryanWeaver, Jul 18, 2004.

1. BryanWeaver

BryanWeaver Extra

I picked up Klipsch RF-35's, RC-35, RS-35's and got a new Onkyo xt-rs 701 in the mail friday. Still waiting on the SV PB2+ to show up. I some of you tried to convince me to go with the RF-7s, but I had to balance a budget to get the best bang for the buck.

So far, the speakers are performing as expected, a little tight for now, but excellent detail and more volume than my wife wants to hear. She still questions me with "what is a subwoofer supposed to do that these speakers don't?" I am sure she will find out next week...I can't wait. The sub has been shipped, and I should get a call from Bax any day now!

FYI, I got the Klipsch from a local dealer that is significantly cheaper than Good Guys. Theses guys are listed on the Klipsch site as being authorized.

I grabbed a DVD player from Costco (Panasonic DVD F-85) and while going through the literature they said that even though I am using the digital output, it will still only be 2-channel. I seem to have made the mistake of thinking that as long as the output is digital (optical or coax) that I am going to get the benefit of 5.1. Not true. Took it back today.

This brings me to a question: what DVD players do forum member recommend that have 5.1 digital?? (single disk play is fine, but carousel is also ok)

Thank you everyone for the advice, commentary and providing a wealth of untainted evaluations

Bryan

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Next time, just ask her ... "Honey, why don't you buy the makeup for $2.50 from the local drug store vs. going to the department store and spending $150.00?"

That'll make sure she doesn't ask any more silly questions like she did.

Oh, your gear sounds great. Klipsch RF-35s are great speakers, too.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Well, the RF-35's are awesome speakers, so don't think you had to give up too much.

Enjoy, that is what I would buy if I had more cash...that and a Subaru WRX STi [​IMG]

4. Frank.Ch

Frank.Ch Agent

Congrats on your purchase, you're going to be very happy.

I got the Klipsch Synergy Series and even though it's not as highly regarded as the Reference series, I love the speakers so far. I think you will love the sound when the system is complete.

I'm confused about your DVD literature. I looked up the specs on your DVD player, and it has Optical output with DTS and Dolby Digital processing, which means it will feed the necessary 5.1 / 6.1 signal to your Onkyo receiver for full home theater sound.

Your literature is either wrong, or you mis-read it. No DVD player that I know of only has 2 channel capability. That would be one crappy player.

The F-85 DVD player is just fine!

Enjoy!!

5. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

Bryan,

Congrats on the new speaks!! I'm sure they sound great! Maybe you should play a movie w/lots of bass in it for your wife-both before and after you get the sub. I'm guessing she'll FEEL the difference.

I use an Integra (Onkyo-high end) DPS 8.3 as my dvd player. It will also do DVD-audio, SACD and mp3 (I think). They have a DPS 5.3 (or so) that does not have the SACD capabilities but will run less than $500.

David

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I had the RC-35 for a short time until the RC-7 came in and I really liked it. It should do very well for you along with the rest of what your getting. Sure understand holding back a little for the PB2+.

Hook your coax up on your DVD player and set it to Bitstream and you should be rockin.

7. BryanWeaver

BryanWeaver Extra

Thanks for all the good words.

Regarding the DVD player. The manual said that DVD-Audio would only have two channels. After a little research, I realized that DVD-Audio is not just the audio portion of a DVD movie, but a up and coming replacement for CD's.

I was a little embarassed to admit that I had misunderstood the the DVD-A(udio) for the movie soundtrack.

Having been a past member of SMPTE for about 10 years, I should know, but technology keeps going in leaps and bounds and it is hard to follow everything.

Wasn't there a CD that someone had available on this forum that had a number of cuts that emphasized the subwoofer? (like serious pipe organ music). If so, it is possible to get a copy?

Thanks