What's new

got spikes? (1 Viewer)

DaveRana

Agent
I have a pair of b&w DM604s that will be placed on a carpeted floor. The guy who sold them to me didn't have the floor spikes.

1. Do the speakers really *need* to be anchored to the carpet with spikes?

2. Will there be any vibration if the spikes are missing?

3. Does anyone on this board have a set of 8 spikes for the 604s they wish to sell?

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
I had similar problems with my Mirage speakers. I needed spikeless spikes for my hardwood floors...I didn't have such a beast. I emailed Mirage, and they're going to send threaded rods to screw into the feet, into the speakers....exactly what I need!

Perhaps if you got in touch with B&W, they would do something similar for you.

DaveRana

Agent
Thanks Rob!

Dave,
I emailed b&w and 2 days later, some retailer emailed me back with a part # and prices. $66 plus $8 shipping for a set of 8 spikes. I got $20 to spare :b

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Dave, until you get your feet, just stick pennies underneath the spikes. It sounds unstable, but so long as you don't have kids and pets crashing into them, you'll have no problem whatsoever.
I recommend "heads up". ;)

DaveRana

Agent
Rich,
Stick pennies where? I don't have any spikes. There are 4 holes in the bottom of each speaker, into which the spikes screw in. I got no kids or pets, so stability is not an issue. Oh wait, I totally forgot my druken, stumbling cousins who wander in sometimes :D

Scott Basham

Stunt Coordinator
What exactly will spikes do for them and what should I be listening for? My Klipsch RF3-IIs came with spikes and plastic pads. I changed out the spikes in favor of the pads to allow easier speaker placement (no sliding them into a corer with spikes).

John Royster

Screenwriter
Aren't the 604s supposed to come with spikes? If so then make your retailer provide them at no cost.

If not then others have posted good links to aftermarket spikes. They are pretty much required on carpet.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Dave
Try this link, excellent products!!!!
Go here for spikes....
They auction at Ebay now and then also. High quality at extremly reasonable prices. Good selection with information on speaker brand thread size also.
Regards
Geoff

Marc H

Second Unit
Spikes can have two benefits. They help keep the bass clean and clear as well as helping put a sharper focus on the stereo image.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
John

From Dave's first post, I draw that they were purchased used, and the seller did not have the spikes....

If this is "not" the case then buy all means have the dealer or B&W directly replace them at their expense!!!

Geoff

DaveRana

Agent
THANKS EVERYONE for your advice and feedback! I contacted B&W America and they gave me a quote of $77 for a set of 8 spikes. I wrote to B&W UK and raised a stink! :) The same B&W-America guy called me back to say he'll give me the spikes for $30 including shipping. I accepted his offer just a few minutes ago.

DaveRana

Agent
Hello Geoff,
I tried to check out the website you wrote about but there's a problem with their site. I sent them this email:

To: '[email protected]'

Hi, I can’t see any pictures on your website- they all show up with a red X. In fact, the only thing I see on your site is the purple menu on the left and the ad banner on top. Just thought I’d let you know. I’m quite sure I don’t have a problem with my PC as I can view other sites/pictures just fine. I’m running Win XP Pro and using MS Internet Explorer 6.0 to access the web.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Dave,
Always make a controled stink! ;)
Glad their going to take care of you.
The company I linked, for those that want, need, or are looking for spikes, these are sweet. I replaced all mine with their better all round built and looking products.
Beatuiful craftmans ship and a pleasure to deal with.
Regards
Geoff
Edit:
Humm, Im on webtv MSN and they show fine, strang! They are some very nice spikes.
Anyone else having a problem accessing their site and photos????

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
You know spikes are kinda like speakerwire, there are pros and cons. Personaly I use them but IMO you must go thru the carpet and nail em to the sub-floor (so to speak) you want to couple your speakers to the structure they are sitting in. If you are going to spike a penny or use the little cups (again IMO) you would do just as well without them.
I have seen people spike everything, amps etc, looks neat but. . . .

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Guy
Hope you feel better, my spiked towers are cupless.:D
Straight threw to the floor, sharp little buggers.
I agree with your remark...:emoji_thumbsup:
Guy, did you check out the link,? can you see the products?
Regards
Geoff

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I did check the link and no I couldnt see anything, also I am home sick. . . I think you are Psycic (sp)when you said I hope you feel better and also knew I couldnt see the pictures. . . . strange. . . .

DaveRana

Agent
I got this reply to the email I sent to oregondv.com:

"Thanks for your input. I've heard of another person with the same problem. I'n running the same, XP with explorer6, and don't have that problem. I think I need to look at the script and make it more generic "

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks