What's new

Got my VTF-2, now I have a few questions (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Finally after trying many subs I found out that a small local dealer sold the HSU VTF-2. I returned my Velo CHT-12 & went over to the shop & bought the vtf-2. As of right now I cant tell the difference between the 2, obviously I need to adjust the HSU. 1st off I need to buy a SPL meter-thats a must. 2nd, I have read many posts here where the HSU owners say they have their volume knob set to the 10 o'clock position(thats not even halfway-right?), -also what level do you guys have your receiver sub level set at? I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 & it adjusts in increments of .5db from 0 to -.05 to -1.0...etc all the way down to -14.0 db(not positive on this one)-I have no idea how to go about this(Im a newbie at properly calibrating a HT setup). Also, I watch 75% movies & 25% music-should i have the plug in or out-Im still fuzzy on what this does. Thats all I can think of right now-Im sure Ill have so more questions later. Thanks for your guys help-this forum has been most helpful

DanaA

Screenwriter
As far as the volume, I have my Hsu at around the 9:30 position and the setting on my Onkyo 696 at -10dB. You will need something like a Radio Shack sound meter to callibrate the sub. A little tweak that I heard yesterday that really seems to help is to place something hard underneath the Hsu which would improve its performance. I bought a 16" by 16" tile from Home Depot. This is only important if you're laying the sub on tile. After searching for posts both here and on other sites, I ended up buying a Rhino cable for the thing and, in my opinion, it results in a better defined sound, but this is only my opinion. I'm no expert on these things. Finally, take the time using Virgil Fox to break the thing in properly. All in all, there is a huge difference between how my Hsu sounds now and when I first turned it on.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Oh and one more thing, I'd fiddle with the cross over frequency knob at the back to get it to blend in more smoothly with your other speakers.
By the way, I love this sub.;)

DanaA

Screenwriter
You're very welcome. I did make a mistake above. You should lay a hard surface under the Hsu if you currently have it resting on carpet, not tile like I said above.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Ok, Ill try that. Currently it is resting on carpet. When you say you have your volume knob at the "9:30" position, do you mean you have it turned up between 1/4 & 1/2 of the way up?

DanaA

Screenwriter
The volume control has 7 white markings around the outside. I have mine set to about half way between the first 2 markings. That's matched up to my speakers though and your final settings might be different. Good luck Ted.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Ted

The port plug works in combination with the 25hz/32hz switch on the back of the sub.

The plug in and the switch set to 25hz puts the sub in maximum extension mode. You will get a liitle less "oomph" with this setting but the sub will go down to 25hz.

The plug out and the switch to 32hz puts the sub in maximum output mode. You will get more oomph but the sub will only go down to 32hz.

So if you want more oomph and not have the sub dig down deep then put it in max output mode. If you want a little less oomph and have it go down deeper then put it in max extension mode. For movies you probably want to have it in max extension mode so that the sub will produce 25hz to 32hz bass. For music you will need to play with the settings and see what you like. Most music will not go below 32hz so if you like a little more boom with your music then put it in max output mode.

As far as the previous poster's statement about fiddling with the crossover frequency it depends on how you connect your sub. If you are connecting the receiver's sub out to the sub in then you will want to set the bypass switch on the VTF-2 to defeat the VTF-2 crossover so that the receiver is doing the crossover. If you are using speaker level connections for the sub then you will need to adjust the VTF-2's crossover to blend with the speakers.

ling_w

Second Unit
Barry BB,

I think you got the port/plug backward. For movies, where you want to feel the oomph, you should set it in the max output mode. This setting emphasizes the 32hz range, where most of the oomph in movies are situated. For music, where you want accuracy, you should set it to max extension mode.

There are DVDs that give you alot of deep bass in the 25hz region, but those bass are not what gives you the punch in the chest slam.

There are even some DVDs that gives you bass in the 15hz range, but at that freq, you would need tons of power to be able to barely hear it.

One has to experiment of course.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Wow, I had no idea how good my HT setup could sound till I calibrated it using the Radio Shack SPL meter. Now the Hsu really shines. Thanks for everyones help!

DanaA

Screenwriter
Ted,

I'm so happy your enjoying your Hsu. Pretty night and day how the sound changes when you get the thing set up right, isn't it?

Ted Ross

Second Unit
DanaA, its unbelieveable what a difference it makes once one calibrates using the SPL meter. Before i calibrated, when I 1st hooked it up, I said to myself "this is it?"-it sounded no better than the CHT-12 I had. Then I bought the spl meter & did my calibrations. I popped in Lethal Weapon 4 & let it play. 1st thing I noticed was that I had to crank the volume on my receiver a lot louder than what I normally used to watch movies at. Then came the scene where Jet Li kicked a guy in the face & I nearly fell off my chair. It was like he kicked me-the bass was that massive. I also noticed my other speakers(all Polk) really came to life as well after calibration. ling_w is right, I get better in the chest "slam" with the plug in. Thanks again for everybodys help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks