What's new

Got my system, Got everything to work except for my 2 surround and center speakers. (1 Viewer)

[Edit] Dang I cant post images or links untill I get 15 posts, If you guys get confused by reading my thread and are willing to help me then please pm me and ill send you a link to the picture that i took of my set up. [Edit]

Sorry for the clutter in the picture, I was having a hard time getting things to work.

If you look on the left of the picture you will see the DVD Input ports. Notice I have something plugged in the FL slots. Those control my 2 front speakers.

But If I want to get my surround ( SL and SR ) and my Center ( Cen ) speakers to work Ill also need to have 2 cables going into the SL and Cen slots. So thats a total of 6 cables.

Well my satelite receiver only has 4 output ports. Left audio, Right audio, and Video and an Spidf

Right now Im able to watch TV but all im getting is my two front speakers and my sub woofer, I have 3 more speakers just laying on the ground, I want to be able to use them for a total surround sound experience, can someone help me out? What do I need so I can get everything to work?

thats my TV by the way.

Sorry this is my first rig. Im brand new to all of this.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Sorry but there is not quite enough information.

You mention a satellite receiver but not an audio or AV receiver. All of the satellite receivers with which I am familiar will not drive any speakers. This is because they have no power, but only output (very) weak audio and video signals.

If you want to drive a surround system, you need a 5.1 receiver. This will have all of the audio outputs you need. But depending on your satellite receiver you may still have a problem. In order to get 5.1 sound from a satellite receiver, the receiver needs a 5.1 output. This will probably be in the form of an optical audio output, although it may also be a coaxial, 5.1 output.

If your satellite receiver has either one of these, run that output (it is only one) to your AV receiver. You need your audio (AV) receiver to have an optical or coaxial, 5.1 input. Then run cables from the audio receiver outputs to your speakers.

I hope that this makes sense.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, we would need to know what Surrond sound equppment you own....

L/R can give basic surround sound, depending ont he processor, it can give quite decent surround sound.

Some content does not come in stereo there for no, usefull surround can be obtained from that content. Generally surround sound systems will offer differentmodes to handle Stereo L/R content. Try switching the surround mode on it.

The Spidf is the connection to be used if your ever going to get any 5.1 out of it though.

Yeah my receiver is called the TR-VSX-59 TXI Natural Sound AV Reciever its aprt of the TR 6200 system.

Right now this is how I have it set up,

I have one chord going from my satelite receiver to my TV ( yellow ) which is for video.

Then I have 2 chords ( white and Red ) going from my satelite which are left and right audio outputs going into my AV receiver.

I have my Sub woofer also connected into my AV receiver.

I have my front right and front left speakers connected to the AV receiver

I have the center speaker connectd into my AV receiver

I have my surround left and right connected to my AV receiver

My satelite receiver does pick up 5.1 dolby digital.

The 2 chords running from my satelite into my AV receiver is my left and right audio ( red and white ) and I have it connected into the Front Left and Front Right speaker input on the AV.

Well in order to get my Center, and Surround left and right to work, I need a red and white wire going into the center and left and right surround input slots on my av receiver also.

It would be so much easier If I could email someone the pics and they reply to this message posting the links I gave them so everyone can see the pics of my setup and the back of it.

My email is [email protected]

I cant posts pics unless I have 15 posts/

From the looks of things, My sat receiver has an Spidf out but my AV does not have a Coxial In..... But it does have seperate wires for Front, Back, and center speakers.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You only be able to obtain limited surround at best...

You need an AVR that will take the digital audio connection.
I have only seen DVD players that output the 6 channel analog.

Is it possible to hook my sat receiver up to my dvd player, and then dvd video into tv and then dvd video channels into my AV receiver?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What are you trying to accomplish John?

Most DVD players don’t have the inputs for both audio and video.

Input or output? And do you really mean wires.

I take it thats the kind of av receiver I have, so there is no way to get 5.1 with my sat receiver? unless I get another AV receiver that has digital input?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
First make absolutely sure that there is no audio digital input for your receiver. It is hard for me to believe that there is not one. I’ve never heard of Theater Research before, but of the AV receivers with which I’m familiar, they all accept digital audio input of some kind—most of them have inputs for both optical and digital coaxial formats. Some, but not all, also will take analog inputs.

There are digital to analog converters available, but you might be able to buy another receiver for the same money.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I am late in coming in. Just so we are both on the same channel, your Sat. receiver has an RCA jack for the 5.1 audio out.

I don't have the 59, but I do have a 47, and on the back panel, on the far left side, you should have both digital and optical inputs. The specs say 4 optical and 3 coaxial (RCA)

I think I see now that the audio input for sat is a optical - well, you should be able to fix that by reassigning the input.

If you have a manual, it's under advanced setup, and you will need a video output to your TV
My instructions say, press system setup > input assign (enter) digital in select (enter). The final screen will have all of your inputs listed, so just pick an empty RCA socket and you should be good to go!

Glenn

Mine has none of that. I dont even have a Video output. Let me go work on my post counts and then ill post teh pics, it will be so much easier.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Hmm.

The most honest advice you're probably going to get is;

Dump the receiver, and get something that supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, and dts. I'm not going to offer any suggestions, because I don't know your budget. But please, ask the forum, before buying.

You can get DVD players that have "5.1" outputs. I don't think you can get 5.1 sound out of a satellite tuner without using an spdif connection, though. As a stopgap mesaure, you might be able to find a outboard decoder-- most of these were manufactured when AC-3 and dts were new and exciting technologies. They'll take a digital optical or coax connection, and decode the signal into six analog channels.

Oh. and if you haven't already done this, you might try using the s/vhs connection (or component, if available) between your sattelite tuner and your TV. Might give a better picture.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I think creative sells one, as does midiland. Most of the mainstream manufacturers have moved on, but they can be found used.

Probably cheaper to pick up a receiver with built in dts/dolby digital/dolby prologic II

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks