Got my SVS, might need some help/suggestions... (long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leif Wall, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I got a 20-39cs, hooked up to that Parts Express 250watt amp. Since I work nights, I didn't get to play with it tell this afternoon. It replaced a JBL pb12.

I don't have a calibration disk or an SPL meter yet. So I kinda have to go by ear. I'll probably pick up those items when my new receiver gets here. (a Yamaha RX-V1200)

For speakers I'm running Polk RT55s, RT35s, and a CS400i. The room everything is in, is kind of weird. It's my parents living room and it's somewhat big. (not sure on cubic feet) It opens up into the dining room. I can't put the sub in a corner, as the way my parents have their furniture and the way the room is set up in general.

So anyways... I queued up Episode 1, Jurassic Park (DTS), the DTS #4 demo disc, and Unbreakable. I chose Unbreakable because of the scene before the train wreck there is supposed to be some low bass, which I didn't get any of with the JBL.

As for the results... the Ep. 1 pod race scene sounded fantastic. The floor below me was shaking. I didn't have any type of a unnverving feeling and my ears didn't bleed. It sounded nice and smooth though. Definite thumbs up.

Jurassic Park also sounded great. The JBL couldn't cut it with this movie in this room. When I was in my apartment in a smaller room, the JBL sounded excellent. The SVS definitely sounded great in the bigger room. (can't wait to hook everything up in a smaller room)

DTS Demo Disc: Here is where I got mixed results. I tried out the Haunting, SPR, and Antz. I noticed on the Haunting that the real low bass hit when Lili Taylor gets knocked out of bed, really wasn't there. I had been adjusting and experimenting with different settings at this point, so maybe that could explain it. SPR was the same way when the tank shot building when Tom Hanks was about to blow the bridge. Didn't have much authority or deepness to it. Or is that moment not really that deep?

As for Unbreakable... I definitely noticed some bass in the train wreck scene this time. Didn't punch my gut, but it did some nice and smooth. Which I like.

So I guess everybodys advice would to calibrate, calibrate, calibrate? I'm more than satisfied with the new sub. I just wish I didn't have to have it in such an odd room. The room just doesn't cater to home theater and all.

One more interesting SVS note: The sub is in somewhat of a corner right next to one of my mains. My mains are on barstools right now. (yeah it looks ghetto, but it works for the moment) The SVS kept moving the speaker and every few moments I had to reposition the Polk because it was gonna fall off the stool. I had to velcro it to the stool!

2. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

BUMP

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Do you have a question?