Got my Sennheiser HD-580s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Holy Crap! Man, do these things sounds freaking amazing! I got mine off of Ubid for $112.00. This is the best $100 I've spent in a long time.

I had purchased a pair of 570's from Good Guy's about two months ago and I *thought* they sounded really good. Nope. Having both headphones and being able to compare them has really shown me how poor the 570's sounds compared to the 580's.

When listening to Sinatra's "Fly me to the moon", the 570's sound like Frank is singing behind plexiglass where as the 580's sound like he is standing right in front of me.

It's a weird sensation. Every instrument sounds like I have my ear right up next to it. I hear EVERYTHING. If I could get this kind of sound from a wireless set(hello Sennheiser), I would never take them off. Ever.

2. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

I guess the next step is 600's then. Just a little curious, what kind of amp do you have. I'm trying my hand at building a cmoy pocket amp. If you didn't check out Tangent's tutorial on this amp you should check it out.
    http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    a decent headphone amp is vital with quality headphones! i adore my 580's and (personally) cannot hear the difference between them and my brother's 600's. the highs are clear, and the bass is tight and clean. granted, i think my current HT setup sounds great for my conditions, but nothing compares to the Sennheisers or even comes close. for 2-channel listening (i don't care for "Dolby Headphone"), a set of quality headphones is definately the way to go!

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I am just using the headphone output of my Yamaha RX-V1000 to drive them. Sounds just fine to me. I can't imagine them sounding any better! They are plenty loud without an external amplifier.

Everyone talks about the power needs of the 580s when compared to something like the 570s, but I cannot hear a difference in overall volume when switching between the two.

If I was going to use the 580s with my PC, I would get a headphone amp.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I am using a yamaha RXV620 to power my SD580's and they work great. I actually compared them to some other sony(junk) "over the ear" headphones, and the 300 ohm senns played louder than the sonys. The high impedance of the 580's should not sway away any potential buyers. An external amp is not needed! They even sound nice with my portable cd player.

BTW, $112 is a steal for those headphones. I paid $150 and am very happy with the purchase.

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah, the $112 included that DSP360 surround sound thingy, too. I haven't tried it out yet, but I think I will use it with my PC. It will probably work pretty well for games and such.

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    volume isn't normally the reason to get an external headphone amp. think of it this way: if your speakers play plenty loud out of a crappy Sony DE-XXX receiver, why then upgrade to, say, a nice Denon unit with better amps? the difference is more quality-related than volume-related, although having better control over volume is still a nice feature.

hope i explained that well.

8. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Thomas, what headphone amp(s) do you use with your 580s?

Regards, Nick

9. Michael St. Clair

A DSP360 is worthless for games unless the games have a true Pro-Logic surround mode.

10. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I kept hearing that the 580 is a bitch to drive and not even a headphone jack from a receiver is capable of driving it. I guess you have to try hooking it up to a killer headphone amp to see if it really is night and day.

11. Michael St. Clair

I have a Headroom 'Little' and a 'Total Airhead' amp. While you can buy higher quality quality amps, every amp from Headroom is capable of driving every pair of traditional (not electrostatic) headphones on the market.
    I have some Beyerdynamic DT770s that are hard to drive. I also have HD580.
    The HD580 is not hard to drive. Like any headphone, it will benefit from improved DACs, quieter power supplies, and circuits (if you like them). But, it is not one of those 'hard to drive' headphones that sound like mush connected to a normal headphone jack on a CD player or receiver.

12. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Shawn: Congrats on the 580s! Isn't it amazing how good headphones can sound? I've just gone through a 2 month period without a preamp/processor and my Senn HD600s were the only thing keeping me sane. I too am not yet using a headphone amp, and have been absolutely happy with just plugging them into the headphone output of the Sony 555es SACD player. The 555es must must have a pretty stout headphone output section. I have never had to push the vol mush past 1/4 to get to ear splitting levels and the sound is transparent with a huge, clearly defined soundstage. I've heard background sounds and fidelity through these headphones that I've never heard while listening to speakers. Someday though, I'm finally gonnna buy a OTL headphone amp.

13. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah, these things just keep getting better and better. I have the DSP360 attached to my computer right now and I am trying to listen to some music. This DSP360 thing sure makes music sounds like total crapola. I am not impressed with this thing at all.

But the 580's are just amazing.