Got my replacement DLS amp today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Williams, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I just got my replacement sub amp from PE today. Eric is "da man". This is truely great customer service. Now all I have to do is put it in.

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Be sure to let us know what you think after it's all in place and you've let her rip for a bit.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Jose I think your whimping out on me??? What do you mean you can't find STAR WARS II..You come up with a action movie then, and I will most likely have it. I won't be to hard on you> for you are such a nice guy.[​IMG] It's all good.

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

is it a different model amp?

5. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

It is the same model amp. too bad it's not the 150w model. I am just glad to get a working amp.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Steve,
    The real problem is getting the family out of the house. In fact, I attempted to use Brotherhood of the Wolf and was at a really low volume searching for the big bang scene when I heard my wife yell "Jose, it's the sound in scary movies that make them scary." Having a seven year old doesn't help the matter. But soon Steve, soon- I'm thinking 109dB no problem [​IMG]

7. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

How's it sound, Jim? How's it sound?

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Jim the extra 50 watts would not translate out. 100 watts is more than plenty for the 10" driver in the DLS. You can push it beyond it's capacity as it is so you see the extra 50 watts would not be utilized. Remember it is a "Mighty Little Sub" as it sits......Well, except for the Auto function.[​IMG]

9. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I just put in the new amp this afternoon and I really have not had a chance to give it a good listen. I did put in LOTR, the Moria chapter, the battle with the Orks. If it is possible, I think that this sub actually sounds better with the new amp. The bass seems cleaner and I can't imagine why because the only difference should be that this one has a working AUTO on and off feature and the other one didn't. The manufacturing date on the new amp is 2002 if that means anything to anyone who might know anything about the manufacturing history of these amps.

One day I will have the house all to my self for a few hours and I can really let this thing rock for a while.

10. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

New amp installed today.[​IMG]

No difference in sound but definitely nice to have a properly working amp. Tested today with the fly-by scene in Star wars. Confirmed 105db at three feet. Wow!!! Steve was correct.[​IMG]

On a side not I had a conversation with Eric at PE and yes they are seeking a more reliable supplier for the DLS amp. So everyone be patient and soon the DLS will be available again.[​IMG]

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

WOW! 105 db Jeff. Thanks for confirming._________________
    __________________________________________________ _______

I think even if they have to charge $5-$20 more it still would be a great sub for the money and Still the number one sub in it's category imo. Get a reliable supplier, pay a few more dollar's and let the sales begin! Hassle free.

12. BillP

BillP Auditioning

This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for about a month, and in the process have put together my modest home theater from everyone's input. Got a Pioneer 811, 7.1 setup with JBL NSP1 II package and two more n24's (would have gotten n26's for fronts but got an open box pair of n24's at Best Buy for $60!!), Sony 40XBR700, and yes I just got one of the faulty DLS's as well. I got my replacement today and it works and sounds great.

Now a little question about the DLS, I have noticed occasionally it seems to "bottom out" or clip for lack of a better way to put it. I noticed it first at the beginning of Gladiatior during the beginning credits. Most pronounced is right after the screen shows "Gladiator" then after a little bit the screen shows "was drawing to an end". The low frequency seems to make the DLS clip a little right after this point. I put an SPL meter about 3 feet from the speaker and it reads 80db. My crossover on my 811 is at 100, the crossover on the DLS is all the way (at 40). The volume on the DLS is halfway (I tried 1/4 like most suggest, but it just wasn't much output.) Also the sub level on the 811 is at +10. It kinda seems like I am having to crank levels a little more than I thought (DLS halfway and 811 at +10, and its not like I am being overwhelmed by too much bass, honestly). Anyone else have an 811 and a DLS? How do you guys have yours set? Anyway, should the DLS clip at all with really low frequency's like this at around 80db 3 feet away (this is probable louder than I'll usually watch the movie, but didn't seem overly loud)? Also, LFE trim seemed to help a little, but still was clipping a little. Not really a major gripe, but just wondering if I am expecting too much out of an otherwise great sounding $99 sub, or if I am reaching it's reasonable limits. Being a newbie, I'm not sure what other info would be pertinent, but my room size is about 19'x15'x9 (too big for this sub?) The sub is about 8" away from front wall (really the only place it can go). Any thoughts?

As far as my old amp, I'm not sure anyone would really want it (I know some guys were interested). It seemed mine sounded terrible even in the on position. Don't know how to really describe it, but it was just a bad bass sound, very localized and not smooth. I have a Sony WM40 (soon returning to Best Buy) that sounded 100 times better than my DLS with the "faulty" amp. Now my new DLS amp sounds better than the Sony.

Sorry for the long first post, but I wan't to thank everyone for helping me put together a great little HT on a budget!

Bill

13. Jeff-Watson

welcome to the Forum Bill,

Your room is large for one 10" sub but I think you should still have very good response from Dls even in your room. Steve has a larger room than yours with several openings and he hasn't mentioned the problem your having. I will let him answer that in more detail but to me it sounds like a possible driver problem. At 80db the Dls should respond smoothly. As stated in my earlier post I get a solid 105db (a little distortion granted:b ) and no real clipping or bottoming out. My green :b suggestion would be to play around with your settings a little more. Try bringing the main sub volume down to around 1/3 and bring the receivers lfe up a little to compensate. You may have mentioned this in your post but if you have not calibrated your system yet that is the first place to start.

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Talk to the 811 owners, as you have to set the LFE up in the receiver first, others wise it dose not work correcty.

It can put out a premature distorted bass signal to the sub.

I don't own one but remember my neighbor having simalar problems with his Pioneer till he got that set up right.
    Then re-calibrated his system again with Avia and no problem anymore.
    Check out your Pioneer manuals (LFE section very well) it's easy to miss the proper LFE set up.
    Something is definitly not right if it's out of gas and clipping or distorting bass material at 80db.

15. BillP

BillP Auditioning

Thanks for the input guys. I did do a quick calibration with THX optimizer on Star Wars EP. II and an SPL meter. I looked at the LFE instructions in my manual, there is only an attenuation function: 0db is no attenuation, -10db attenuates, and ~~ turns off LFE. From reading around on the forum, it doesn't look like I should really need to attenuate the LFE. I am going to try to see what happens when I back off the receiver sub adjustment (I read that possible setting it much above 0 on the receiver it could begin to send a signal that may distort?) I'm going to try to get a real calibration disk and play around some more and I'll let you know what I find out. Also, I am a little confused on how to set the sub level when calibrating. If my other speakers are equal at say 75db with test tones, what should sub be reading? If I remember correctly, the sub test tone was hardly reading on the SPL meter, or at least not nearly 75 db. (this is reading all speakers from my couch where I would normally be sitting).

16. Jeff-Watson

You should run your sub level when calibraing to around 3 to 4 dbs hot. That is pretty much the standard opinion here it seems.

17. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Bill

I would "assume" the set up of your 811 is very simalar to the 709-S. Check this thread out to see if things are simalar in your receiver.

Regards
    Geoff

[​IMG] Edit:
    I don't know why is dosn't work so I will find the name of the thread and post it. Then do a search and it will come up!
    Thread is in the Receivers/Separates Area.

The Thread is:::::>
    Pioneer 709-s throws bass away, whats wrong here?

Search for this and you may find the answer to your problem....!

18. BillP

BillP Auditioning

thanks Geoff,

19. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

There are several links in the chain and if any one hits their limit you'll get noticeable distortions.

"Also the sub level on the 811 is at +10"

Its possible that the subwoofer output stage on your receiver is clipping. Try backing that off a bit and then turning up the gain control on the sub to compensate.

In any case the sub should hit 80dB with no problem at all. So its likely a setup issue of some sort. Maybe you've got it out-of-phase with your main speakers. This could have caused you to calibrate way to high and still get little output since the speakers and sub are working against each other. If the sub has a phase switch, try switching it. Shoot, it might even be wired backwards internally (from the amp to the woofer). Stranger things have been known to happen.

20. BillP

BillP Auditioning

thanks Geoff,

actually the 811 is a little different than the 709, it doesn't have the same setup. The 811 does only have a sub channel level setting (-10 to +10, just like all the other channels) and the LFE attenuation (lfe off, 0 for no attenuation, and -10 for some attenuation). Some other 811 owners correct me if I am wrong!! But again thanks Geoff, I still learned a good deal in reading through the thread.