What's new

Got My PT47X54 (1 Viewer)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I finally got my replacement HDTV from Panasonic extended warranty. They upgraded me to the pt47x54 from a pt47wx42.

I'm very impress with the tv. The picture looks amazing.

It's like getting a new car. The TV still has that new factory smell :).

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The one drawback of the current crop of sets is the utter cheapness of the set. You need to open up the inside of the TV and paint it black. It will improve the image a lot.

Regards

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tip. So far, everything looks great.

How does the current line of Panny's calibrate? Have you had a chance to work on the new lines yet?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

They calibrate exactly like the previous three generations of the set. Very well.

regards

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Thanks!!! That's good to know.

How much should I expect to pay for ISF calibration in Southern California?

I see that Gregg is doing his summer tour again :)

After over an year, working out the kinks in my system, I am finally happy with my rig. I use KRK studio monitors for my speakers and a Velodyne 8" sub.

I upgraded to a Denon DVD 2200, which is amazing. If anyone is looking for a high end player, look at the Denon 2200.

Now, I have a new set, I have that bug again to ISF and see how much I am really missing.

This is my primary TV. I watch about 4-6 hours a day and on the weekends, it's on 6-8 hours a day, due to my weekend caretaker.

I probably watch 6-8 DVD's a week and the rest of that time is on HD materials and a few shows in Standard Def, but mostly DVD's and prime time HD shows. I also watch a lot of sports, like NFL in HD, or NBA in HD. I really like to watch sports in HD.

I would like to see the details in the picture in 480p and 1080i.

I would like to prolong the life of the set as much as possible.

Does ISF helps with the life of the set?

Do you think that I would benefit from ISF calibration base on my watching habits?

Do you think that ISF calibration is worth it or will I be wasting my money?

Thanks,
Tim

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I believe Gregg's charge for Panasonic is $475 which includes the SD and HD portions. You cannot separate them on this set so you have to do both ... hence the slight increase in cost.

If you use a test disc ... and don't run the TV at the vivid mode ... then life is still increased, but just not as much.

Of course calibration is worthwhile as much as a tune up is for the car. But these are decisions you have to make yourself. If you did your own car tune ups ... then maybe taking the car to a mechanic would not be worthwhile ...

Regards

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Thanks again, I will email Gregg for details. At this point, I have a feeling that I will go ahead and have it ISF calibrated. I've waited long enought and research a bit too much on this forum :).

I've noticed that the vivid mode puts out a brighter picture even with the same picture settings as the cinema and standard modes. The picture is slightly brighter on vivid.

Any thoughts why?

The vivid mode looks great with HD materials.

For SD, I just use the cinema mode.

Should I try sticking with the cinema mode for all of my inputa?

Thanks,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks