Got my PSAT scores back...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Morgan Jolley, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Verbal - 61/80 - top 88%
    Math - 70/80 - top 97%
    Writing Skills - 75/80 - top 98%

Overall - top 98%

SAT equivalent (verbal*10 + math*10) - 1310
    (though they say you do better on the SATs)

Anyone else take the PSATs and get scores back?

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

yeah, back in about 1992 [​IMG]

3. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Nice job. I took the PSATs around 1998, I think. I don't remember what I got but I think it was in the 900-1000 range, maybe a little higher. When I took the SATs, I got a 1210, so I definitely went up on the SATs.

4. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

Verbal - 63/80 - top 91%
    Math - 70/80 - top 97%
    Writing Skills - 64/80 - top 92%

Overall - top 95%

SAT equivalent (verbal*10 + math*10) - 1330

Last year (sophomore):

Verbal - 65/80 - top 96%
    Math - 70/80 - top 99%
    Writing Skills - 63/80 - top 93%

Overall - top 95%

SAT equivalent (verbal*10 + math*10) - 1350

5. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i think i got a 1250 on my PSATs

then on my SATs i got a 1300 (650+650) the first time and a 1390 (730 math + 660 verbal) the second time

6. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

Aye, I was presently surprised when my PSAT scores came back. I was expecting some bad stuff b/c I didn't prepare at all for the test and when I took it I remember saying to myself "Oh my, I *really* should have studied for this." I had that "I don't know what I'm doing" anxiety attack during the test and kept hearing my friends and teachers saying (all in my head lol) "The PSAT is more important than the SAT. All the colleges look at them now!" It was weird stuff. Anyways, scores:

Verbal - 72/80 - top 98%
    Math - 67/80 - top 94% (I demand a recount, I'm pretty good in math! arggg...)
    Writing Skills - 76/80 - top 99%

Selection Index: 215
    Percentile: 99

SAT equivalent: 1390

7. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

ah PSAT scores. Some people take them SO seriously, other people not at all. Some people here at ND said they took classes and stuff for their PSATs and were really worried about them. I didn't even know to think about them until I after I took the test. The PSATs are useful because they determine national merit stuff, but besides that I don't think colleges look at them too much at all. When I took PSATs a couple years ago, I did really horribly (only around 90% or so on them if I remember correctly). The thing about PSATs is that you get the test back so you can see where you screwed up- I made a ton of dumb mistakes. As far as SATs, a lot of people I know had drastic differences between PSAT and SAT- some people got like 1500 equivalent on the PSAT only got like 1350 on the SAT, while others went up hundreds of points. Don't worry bout these scores...they don't mean a whole lot anyway.

Todd

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I got a 1060 on the PSAT. I wanted to get a higher score so I took this expensive course that "has been proven to raise SAT scores." Well I took it and come SAT day I was sitting next to a girl with a furry sweater littered with cat hair and it just so happens I was allergic to her cat! [​IMG] I had to blow my nose and wipe my eyes so many times I pretty much kept the tissue box next to my desk. I got my SAT back and got a 1060. Glad I took that course or I might have scored lower. [​IMG]

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that PSAT scores are generally between 50-100 points lower than the SAT scores. As for the SAT's, I believe that the prep courses are basically BS. The best way to prepare is to take as many practice tests and real tests as possible. Every person I knew got a higher score with each time they took the real SAT's. I know for a fact that I would have gotten 50 points higher if I had taken it a third time, but I decided against it because of athletic reasons (had two games the same weekend as the SAT's). The PSAT's are basically meaningless, as they are about 80% accurate of what you are going to really score. JMHO

11. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

For some reason we only took the PSAT and ACT at my school. No SAT, unless you wanted to travel a good distance to take it, and my school certainly didn't promote that option...
    I got accepted to colleges (and earned scholarships) based solely on my ACT score and good grades. (As far as I know, anyway! [​IMG]) If the schools I applied to looked at PSAT scores, they certainly didn't come out and say it.
    I can't remember for the life of me what I got on the PSAT, and it's only been two or three years since I took it. I just know that based on my score I was a national merit scholar semi-finalist, or I was in the running to be a national merit scholar semi-finalist, or something like that...

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Don't remember the numbers, but last year I got a 1290 on my PSATs. A friend of mine went up 200 points, but I only went up 20.

BTW, I have no idea how I did so well in Writing Skills. I'm not great at English or History, so I didn't expect to do so well.

And I also have the highest Selection Index and overall % than anyone I know in my school (so far, there might be 2 people who beat me).

13. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I only took the ACT back when I was in school. Got accepted into every school I applied for.

14. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

ACT wise i got a 31...which matches up pretty well with my SAT score...

as for the PSATs being more important than the SATs....i don't understand that at all...colleges don't take them into consideration when deciding on your application...the only point in my mind is for the national merit scholarship...other than that...you might just get more college mail if you do well on them

15. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I only took the ACT. I did alright, good enough for second(tied) in my graduating class of 17 people. Me and another guy got 24's and one of our friends got a 31 to lead our class. Our class was dumb, we should have all had much higher scores. It's funny though our
    (in)-valedvictorian(sp?) got like a 13 on her's. The funny thing was she actually told us that. Dumb broad

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Our class is extremely stupid. I swear that our regular level courses are the equivalent of core level courses (the students, not the teachers or curriculii(sp?)).

Also, I don't get why some people take the PSATs or SATs or any other test of the sort when they KNOW they're going to do horrible. I'm not talking about the kids who just joke around all the time and don't pay attention in class, I mean the kids who are in all core classes and are still a year behind everyone else in their class. This might be the wrong way to look at it, but there's no point in trying if you know you're going to fail (or do really bad). It's just a waste of money, time, and resources.

17. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

18. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I think I got about a 1250 last (sophomore) year. I was 99th percentile in writing and somewhere in the 90's in verbal, but my math brought me down a little bit. Still waiting for this year's scores...

19. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

20. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I got them back in o... 1995 or so, and alas I have no clue how I did [​IMG]
    At least you know what you should work on before the SATs.