Got my parts! Now for some (dumb) questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian J Dupuis, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

Hey guys,
    Got the main components of my sub yesterday, the Dayton 12" DVC and the PE 250W amp. Now for a couple of questions.
    1) I feel real dumb about this one, but... believe it or not that DVC stands for "dual voice coil". Help a newbie figure out how to wire this thing. Do I run both coils in parallel? Just wire one?
    2) I've heard lots of mention of the Dayton DVC rattling because the leads hit the cone or somesuch? Any truth? What steps should I take to get around this?
    3) Can anyone recommend a good book for woodworking? Something that shows the basics of routing (I'm clueless how I'm going to cut the amp hole, for instance... some kind of guide for the router that I can almost picture, but not quite), saws, planing. I'm coming into this completely fresh, but enthusiastic. I have some people in the neighborhood with tools, but don't want to be completely lost, and would like to learn on my own. No laughing!:b
    Many thanks. Sorry for the total basic level of these questions... I guess I have to start somewhere, and I'm not too proud to admit it. [​IMG]

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

3. Brian J Dupuis

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

5. Brian J Dupuis

6. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Here's a pic to help with wiring... (if your going parallel or series) I know the picture uses two speakers as an example, but just treat each speaker as each voice coil.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/parser.html
    Hope that helps...
    Mike

7. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I kind of figured you'd say exactly that. Thanks for the input! What's the most accepted way of performing this parallel wiring task?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's just a matter of connecting the terminals for each coil to one another. You'll need to get some wire. I usually use 18 ga stranded copper. Just wire the positive to the other positive and the negative to the other negative. Then wire the amp's output to one of the two sets of terminals. So, you will wind up with one of the terminal sets with two sets of wire attached to it, one going to the amp and one going to the other terminal. **Just make sure you keep your negatives and positives straight!**

__________________________________________________ _____

Brian,

Guess what? I have a 12" DVC and 300-794 amp I'm building a sub with, too. Hard to pass up a sale, isn't it? Since I'm an anal engineer who never wants to limit my future possibilities, I got the 260-304 bi-amp terminal block for this project. This way I can wire both voice coils to their own binding posts, and use the shorting bars to parallel the connections for 4 ohms. I used 16 gauge wire to connect the voice coils to the terminals to minimize resistance, though I suspect 18 gauge wouldn't have hurt anything. He's right that you have to keep the reds and blacks strait, or the signals will just cancel and you'll get no sound.

I think you're right about one project leading to another. I was considering building a sub, but finally decided I couldn't pass up the deal of an Adire Rava. It's an awesome sub, and my main HT system is now very nice. But .... what about my den, where I have an old Philips receiver and a 20-year-old pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7 minispeakers? Of course I need a sub there, too!! And as I work on this project, and a sub for a buddy with a tight budget and a spare car woofer, I can't stop wondering what a 15" DVC in a ported sonotube would sound like.....

It's a disease I tell you!!!!

Peter

8. Brian J Dupuis

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

11. Brian J Dupuis

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer