What's new

Got my Onkyo 700 and now it has to go back (1 Viewer)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
They shouldn't. The problem is not throughout the entire model range...only the lower and lower-mid level new receivers. Although, many tests of the much loved 595 also show a multi-channel deficiency. IMO, another reason why the 'two channels driven' standard continues to be misleading, bordering on useless, in the multi-channel world. Most receivers perform well in Stereo.
People often question why weight would be an important consideration in choosing a receiver. My H/K 510 weighs 35lbs. and is rated at 80Wx2-8 Ohms, 70Wx5-8 Ohms. When tested by various sources it puts out more like 95Wx2-8 Ohms, 90Wx5-8 Ohms. With my 6 Ohm speaker set the 510 delivers 125Wx2, 115Wx5. The Onk 898 is even heavier and has similar, if not better, real-world output. Maybe people should re-think. It bears repeating...you get what you pay for.
(Hey Richard---I guess great minds think alike);)

RichardMA

Second Unit
Yes, there should be a law put in place to guarantee

specific power delivery as claimed by a mfg. On the other

hand, if people buying receivers (some that weigh, what

20lbs and claim 100wpc across 5 channels?) would finally

realize there is a REASON a good five channel separate

amp weighs 40-80lbs, and receivers just don't have the

drive in most cases to deliver the ultra-high wattage

transients that like to blow protection circuits in

receivers and fuses in speakers.

When buying a receiver, look at dynamic headroom and the

speaker impedence they claim to be able to drive.

Of course, the mfg. could be lying about those specs

anyway....

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
Norman, thanks for the info on your subwoofer and settings--I couldn't remember having seen a reference to them in your posts...;)
BTW, depending on the sensitivity of your speakers (which isn't listed on B&W's website), the full 80 watts might not have been enough for your listening level at the time your speakers failed. If I remember right, you calibrated at 85 dB with AVIA, then were listening at -10 dB (75 dB). This would make your estimated 20-30 dB peaks 95 to 105 dB. With speaker sensitivity of 75 dB @ 1 Watt, it would take 128 watts to give you 96 dB. 80 watt sensitivity would give you 101 dB at 128 watts, and so on. Just some food for thought!

Norman L

Second Unit
Barry,

The high end Onkyo's are delivering as rated or slightly under as expexted.

See the S & V wattage chart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks