What's new

Got my Onkyo 700 and now it has to go back (1 Viewer)

RajeeK

Second Unit
Check out HK or Denon. Use your Amex if it is gold or platium and buy a Denon at an authorized dealer and price match with the unauthorized sites that list it at $528 and AX will send you a check. Check Yahoo shopping for receivers, only for a price match.
FYI, Amex Price Match is over. Last day was April 30th. They stopped the program, because they were just getting killed over it financially.

Norman L

Second Unit
It is not over for the Gold or Platium Cards, only the Blue cards.

Optima Card Platium card will end June1, but regular Gold and Platium will continue. Call 800-557-8317 for info.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Normal-

All I can say is phew. Without a resource like the HTF I would have been burned on this purchase. Onkyo would just look the other way if their crappy receiver blew my B+W's because they didn't supply the wattage they promise.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
There oughta be a law. Consumers have to be even more careful now as the FTC rating standards are meaningless in the real world of multi-channel A/V. The old adage still applies: "If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't".

There is simply no way any manufacturer is going to provide more and more amplified channels to keep up with advancing technologies and keep the price/power the same. Hello? HELLO? Yeah, yeah, I keep hearing how the new digital powerplants will be the cat's meow...less weight...smoother power delivery, accuracy and control. Wake me they get here.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
I think its from a Sound & Vision test.
Sound & Vision has not tested it yet. I would wait for them to run it through through their standardized lab tests in order to have a valid comparison with the results of the other receiver power tests.

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
NormanL's posts on this forum and on the HT Spot don't mention what load the receivers were tested into by his NJ lab or the Canadian Onkyo distributor. The manual for the 600 gives its output power as 110 wpc X 6 into 6 ohms, as quoted by Ned in one of his posts above. However, its power into 8 ohms is listed as 80 wpc X 6. My 797's manual claims 135 wpc X 6 into 6 ohms, and 100 wpc X 6 into 8 ohms, so the load is a major factor, as I'm sure everyone on these forums knows. Unless the methods of determining performance are identical, its apples-and-oranges, folks. I'm not slamming Norman, but I do have an aviation technical background and have worked in deficiency analysis. I know that little things can skew results in a big way, so it's important for credibility and repeatability reasons to know how those results were obtained.

End soapbox mode... :b

Norman L

Second Unit
Royce,
FYI, The 797 tested very good, it appears the change is in the lower end models starting in 2001.
In the lab report from an authorized audio/video repair company. The input was CD 250mv. All test were to 8ohm.
The test is first done on 2 channels an output of 25.5 volts yeilds 81W/Ch. The receiver is switched to 5 channel stereo and the volts drop to 16.5 or 34W/ch.
This was the same procedure as done in Canada.
Also look at the report on the 595 from HiFi Magazine in England their lab report was 35W/ch. All consistant. Canada which is the Onyko distributer was 30W in their test.
If you would like a email of the conversation it is available 11megs as mp3 for 50% of the conversation.
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1880

aness

Auditioning
Dalton,

I mean he suggested I buy one.

I am at work and had to use another computer.

normanl

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
:) Norman, just a couple of questions here. Were you running your speakers with a subwoofer, or not? Did you have mains set to "large" and your other speakers to "small"? Without a sub, and your center and surrounds set to "small", you may have helped your speakers to fail. Using those settings, you're redirecting all LFE plus bass below your receiver's crossover point for the other speakers to the mains. As I'm sure you know, ProLogic is very different from DD and DTS 5.1 in that the surrounds were mono and limited in frequency, while the new digital formats use 5 (or more) discrete full-range channels. If you aren't running a sub (or are, but are also "copying" the bass from the sub to the mains), this is feeding your B&Ws with a whole lot of bass that they probably never had to produce with your old Onkyo. And that bass takes a lot of power to produce. Under those conditions, and depending on the efficiency of your speakers and the size of your room, even the full 80 wpc might not been enough given the 20-30 dB peaks you said you were seeing above your set volume level.
BTW, the online manual for your DM200s on the B&W website says they have an automatic protection circuit that's supposed to keep the speakers from damage under overload, DC, and *thermal* conditions. If I were you, I'd also be asking B&W why that circuit didn't protect your speakers as it was supposed to...

Norman L

Second Unit
Royce,

Did you have mains set to "large" and your other speakers to "small"?
Mains, Center, Surounds set to small.

The crossover was set to 80.

The B & W 2000 goes down to 30db, they need lots of power if the source calls for power.

According to B & W and the Onyko Canadian distributer if the receiver went down to 30w with a strong signal and the speakers need 50w they were clipped. As I said, I relied on the specs of 80x6.

My speakers are at B & W being repaired. As far as the protection circuit I have not gotten a full explation of why it did not kick in. I will keep you posted.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
mOST OF THE REPUTABLE MNFGRS RATE AT 8 OHMS 20 -20,000 HZ,
W/ LESS THAN 0.05% THD, BUT ALAS THEY RATE ONLY WITH 2 CHANNELS DRIVEN..AND OFTEN THERE IS DISPARITY BETWEEN FRONT AND REAR MEASUREMENTS........BUT JOE 6PACK SHOPS WITH THE FEATURE CHECKLIST IN HAND AND WINDS UP WITH THE YUGO THAT HAS THE CRUISE CONTROL AND MOONROOF...AND THE CHEAP AUDIOPHILE WANNABE THINKS THAT THIS IS ALSO A GREAT PRE-PRO IF IT HAS PRE-OUTS!!!!!!! :) :) :) JUST KIDDING, IT'S HAS A GREAT PRE-OUT STAGE ,THE MNFGR USES CLASS "A" PRE-OUTS ON IT'S RCVRS FOR THE 2% WHO WILL EVER USE THIS FEATURE ...THE PRE-OUTS ON THAT 400 DOLLAR RCVR HAVE REALLY STABLE VOLTAGE AND WILL DO NEARLY AS WELL AS ANY PRE-PRO...;) :D PLEASE NOW GUYS , I'M JUST KIDDING AROUND;)

Ned

Supporting Actor
I guess it'd be crazy to say 100watts x2 and 40watts x6. Too honest eh?

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
all new sr models 500, 600, and 700 have bad reviews by users also, see audioreview.com I will say that stay the hell away from these receivers and check Denon for replacement. HK are over priced.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

You may think that H/K are overpriced but this is one area where money talks. Amp staging is critical to a good receiver and H/K delivers. They may fall down or have QC problems in other areas but power delivery is not one of them. Try running reference levels with 2 Ohm speakers all around with anything else in a comparable model price range. Can you say 'thermal protection'?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks