What's new

Got my new SVS!! A couple pics n' comments..... (1 Viewer)

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Been waiting all day, jumping at every vehicle to go by. It finally made it. Here's a couple pics:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/adroozz/lst?&.dir=/Home+Theater&.src=ph&.view=t and a comparo of my Yamaha sub vs. the SVS 25-31PC
rolleyes.gif
Does that look like good enough placement?? I have no other options at all..
On to the sound..Yamaha RX-V3000 as the source. First song that popped up in my CD player was Working Man by Rush...never felt, or heard, Neil Peart's drums hit so hard...and sound so good. Next was Music by Madonna.....oh my, it hits very hard and goes very low. The ultimate test was the THX intro on SW:TPM. It felt like the bass was starting inside of me, begging to get out through my chest...I had no idea. Pod Race scene, and every other part I skipped through, was bass like I've never felt before. My sinuses in my nose felt very weird; the glass doors on my entertainment center were shaking bad (I'll need to fix that one), my vertical blinds were flapping, the dishes in my kitchen were rattling..WOW!! The best part though is the overall sound has improved dramaticaly. I think I'll be throwing this jumbo box away now....no returnee here
biggrin.gif
Hope I get no trick-or-treaters tonight...won't be able to hear them anyway
wink.gif

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
What kind of entertainment center is that? It looks nice. I've been looking for something like that to house my stuff but it can't be huge. I don't know how big yours is but it looks nice from what I could see in the pics.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff...I posted a pic of the whole thing on that same link..it's about 8-10 feet wide, and costed $1,000 back in 97 I think. That's a 36" on there..hopefull I'll be getting the 40" Sony for Xmas, and hopefully it fits.
One more question...I have the sub set with power on, and then plugged into my receiver's switched input so it turns on when I turn the power onto the receiver. I know it says different in the manual, but I don't have any free outlets. Will I be OK w/ that? Also, how does the auto function work?? Does it get power when it senses a signal?? Thanks.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Do NOT use the receivers switched outlet for the sub. Find another way to get it in there. Switch it with yor CD player or something but you are really taking a chance on damaging your receiver by plugging an AMP into it.
The auto on will make the sub turn on when it see's a signal and will remain off when not in use, I recommend using this method and plug it directly into your surge protector/line conditioner. Take it out of the receiver right away!!!
Nice ent center but it's a little too big and too expensive for my place/TV. My search continues...
[Edited last by jeff lam on October 31, 2001 at 05:04 PM]

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I second Jeff Lam's statement: do NOT plug an amp directly into your receiver.
Find something else - the CD player, the DVD player, whatever. But do NOT plug in an amp.
Receiver plugs are intended for convenience and small loads. The transients an amp can generate when it first powers up (loading capacitors for that extra oomph when needed) can blow the circuits - both in the sub (rare) and the receiver (almost always).
Other than that - congrats! It's a great sub, and I am sure you will come to love it even more as time goes on!
Mike

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. It is now plugged into a surge protector, soon to be a Monster Power thingy...Hope no damage was done, no probs yet..

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Andrew,
Thanks for the kind words. We've gotten alot of pics from excited customers but I think that's the first of the actual UPS delivery! If I didn't know better I'd say you were hyped about your sub!
Thanks too for your assesment of the 25-31PC. For general HT and music use it's just about perfect. The last one I had in my HT just stunned me. I think Tom and I debated for several nights about how (just based on performance) we should be charging far more for them. The accountant lost that one, it remains our powered sub value leader. We have not had a single one come back as a return that I can recall, not that we get many of any model back.
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks