got my new monitor 5's problems though :(

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason->D, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Jason->D

Jason->D Stunt Coordinator

so i bought a used pair of monitor 5 v2's off audiogon got them today and hooked them all up. go to start listening to some music and one speaker sounds great the other however is missing a lot of the high's, they are kind of there but very muffled and very noticeable in any sort of music or movie that has a lot of highs.

i don't think they where damaged or anything in shipping as the box is still in good shape and doesn't have any obvious damage to it.

so my question is how much does it cost to replace a tweeter and would it be a diy job or better to have a shop do if this is the problem as i can't think of anything else it could be

i'm pretty bummed out right now as my ht setup encounters another delay [​IMG]

2. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

That stinks. I wonder if the guy you bought them from knew they were bad and sold them without advertising they had a problem.

3. Jason->D

he had great feedback both on audiogon and ebay [​IMG] i'm going to take them to a local audio shop and to get a second opinion as i'm new to all of this [​IMG]

4. Bob_Hammond

Bob_Hammond Agent

You may have already tried this, but put the left speaker on the right cable and vice-versa just to make sure that it is a speaker problem.

Bob

5. Jason->D

yah that was the first thing i tried and it followed the speaker pretty much ruling out any issue with my receiver (yamaha rxv750)

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Check with your local Paradigm dealer for a replacement tweeter. I can almost guarantee it was either damaged already or it was damaged in shipping. The v2 and v3 had tweeters that seemed to be kind of easy to damage in shipping, in particular if you don't have the original packaging, because I had it happen. The magnet assembly actually broke off the back of the tweeter = bye bye. They likely aren't under warranty, so I would just take out the tweeter assembly and take a look at it. You might get lucky and it's just a loose wire. Inspect the tweeter, check for a burnt smell, then visually for a damaged voice coil. Either would indicate it was already damaged before shipped.

Check with the seller, they may not even have known it was damaged and they may offer to replace the tweeter for you.

7. Jason->D

being new to this i'm kind of hesitant to take the tweeter out but if it's just a matter of taking off the screws popping it out and then popping it back in i could handle that i'm sure, i'm going to take it into a local shop on wed to let them listen and then email the seller after that

8. John Garcia

John
    Yes, it is just a matter of removing the screws and disconnecting the wires, which should just be attached with connectors. There's likely no warranty to void, so it shouldn't be a big deal, but if you are really not comfortable doing it, then let the shop check them out.

Don't wait to mention it to them, because you become responsible for them once they are in your hands and the longer you wait the less inclined the seller would be to do something about it. If I were the seller and you told me a week later, rather than the day they arrived, that they were damaged, I would not be as likely to agree to do something about it.

9. Jason->D

Yah I emailed him about it today, gonna hopefully take them to a local shop to get them looked at tommorow, only problem is I broke my foot last night and now have no way of lugging speakers around with me and have to rely on my dad to shuttle me places.

10. John Garcia

John
    Wow, rough week.

11. Jason->D

to make it worse it just started snowing today [​IMG]