What's new

Got my new Klipsch RF-5's AWESOME (1 Viewer)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
For those interested;)
I used to had the RF-3's for mains and the RC-3 for center which sounded great. I then purchased the KLF-20's for mains and moved the 3's to the surround sides. The RC-3 became lost, so I purchased the RC-7 which is absolutely astounding:D :D . I placed the RC-3 in the rear spot.
Shortly I will purchase the RF-7's for mains, move the KLF-20's to the surround, and move the RF-3's to the rear.
As for the Sub issue. I have the KSW-15 which I think gives great base. I do not think my house could actually handle more, no kidding. My only issue with it is it seems a little slow. I am planning on replacing it with the RSW-12. BTW I liked the KSW-12 better than the KSW-15 as it seemed faster.
KLIPSCH LOVE FEST INDEED:D :emoji_thumbsup: :b :emoji_thumbsup:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I here you on the sub. I run the Velodyne ct-150 sub and I do think it is a good sub but the longer I am into this hobby the more I keep cutting it back. Don't get me wrong, I love LFE and want slam! I think my system is on the muddy side though. I know the Klipsch will help and the sub will have to be changed to the VTF-3 or a PCI+ to. It will all be good then and my wife can rest knowlng my quest is over. Am I lying to my-self again? This will make three subs and three sets of speakers in a year. I can't afford to go on like this. We all just keep on learning.

;) Hi...
Great to see more discovery of that bit of magic called Klipsch...
I've been enjoying the heck out of my Klipsch THX home cinema set of speakers since Dec. of 1998.
Last summer I added a nice pair of La Scala to my mix as main speakers.
I moved the dipole surrounds from the THX set into the bedroom and now use the 3 matching KT-LCR speakers for center and direct radiating surround duties...
I've used the following amplification with the Klipsch Speakers:
1. Technics AX-6 (ok, everyone has to start somewhere, this nail on chalkboard experience lasted about 6 months)
2. Onkyo Integra DTR-7 (Much improvement from the Technics, albiet at three times the price point)
3. 2 channel NAD-7140 stereo receiver: The little NAD makes for a very good match with the Klipsch THX and La Scala's. I'm still using it as a pre-amp as it has a nice little bass contour setting that boosts the anemic bass in the La Scala's just a touch.
4. Denon POA-2800 amp. This vintage beast is rated for 200 W /ch into 8 ohms and is built like a tank. The first few watts are biased to Class A operation and make for a very good match with the Klipsch speakers...
Quote from a guy who visited my HT a few weeks ago:
"WOW, you shoulda heard his setup, never have I heard music so loud and clear before... (Eagles HFO DTS at -5 db below reference volume level.
Enjoy your speakers guys, but if you get the chance to listen to the Klipsch heritage (Belle, Cornwall, Klipschhorn, La Scala, Heresy, Chorus) take it, you will be amazed at the quality of sound from some pretty old speakers. (My La Scala's are relatively new 1983 models... ) My THX set were made in 1997.
The Klipsch legend series KLF10, KLF20, and KLF30 are also very good at movie work especially when paired with the excellant KLF-C7 center speaker and KSP-S6 surrounds.
Later,
Lyle.

JonnyD

Auditioning
Ohhh Feel the love:)
I am with y'all on this one. Have purchased RF3II mains. RC3II center. RCW3II in walls for rear and the awsome RSW12B
sub, all being run of the RXV1 yamaha this is all b.new and has about 4hrs total I read previously that they will settle down a little after some use but I don't find them at all too harsh infact they are some of the best sounding speakers for the money I have heard.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
Thank goodness for the Klipsch lovefest without the 'crappy, harsh sounding' comments. It sounds like a lot of hornies out there.

While I like the reference stuff, I agree with listening to the heritage speakers for a real thrill - it makes one wonder what all the hype is on loudspeaker improvement over the last 20 - 30 years. I have three pair of Heresy in and around (SVS 20-39PCi really fills it in for a complete sound).

Our friends at klipsch probably put the best deal on the table for a quality horn system. The klipshorn will stand the test of audiophile quality at a tremendous price point. There are better horns in today's market, but you will spend a pretty buck to get them.

Let your ears do the talking.....

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

My Cornwalls are 1979 models. As of late I have entertained the thought of buying some new mains, namely some N802's, but when I get hame from work and toss on some music, 9 times out of 10 I wind up saying "How much better is it gonna sound for a $5000+ investment?"

Cornwalls and every Heritage line speaker I have ever heard make beautiful music - no exception. I can't speak a whole lot about the reference stuff, I have never really heard the RF speaker line, although I do have an RC 7 CC and think it does a wonderful job keeping up with my Cornwalls.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I don't mean to end the love fest but I'll take this time to show my opinion after spending a weekend with Klipsch RF-7s and an RC-7. The 5.1 system was powered by a Denon 5803 and Pioneer Elite DVD player, all calibrated and broken in.

First impression after listening to them with music was ear fatigue in the upper range. Some Klipsch fans may describe this as "realistic", however I do not enjoy having to turn them down the more I listen to them. Cymbals and hats crashing during heavy metal gave off ear piercing highs. To me, they made the highs harsher than if I was the drummer himself.

In movies such as Gladiator, the vocals were unusually bright and artificial sounding. YES the sound was clear and distinguishable, but it was as if I was wearing my grandpa's hearing aid in which all highs sounded slightly amplified in the upper range. This coloration leads me to believe Klipsch strives to produce speakers that make sound clearer than it is supposed to be. It was because I heard every fine detail like it was artificially "horn" amplified was why I thought the sound was fake.

I also have friends who have entire Klipsch synergy systems and it's sad to see how they do not enjoy listening to movies at reference so they have to turn it down. IMO, If I had to choose a speaker, I'd be willing to sacrifice a little exagerated detail for being able to listen at reference.

The brightness was especially noticeable when we AB compared them to similar priced speakers like Monitor, Martin Logan Aeons, and Energy.

I'm not attacking Klipsch, or the fans, I'm simply stating my opinion on Klipsch's Flagship speaker.

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
My RB5.II's are the least fatiguing speakers I have ever owned. I can listen to music for hours at very high SPL's without ever feeling fatigued. The clarity, and lack of distortion makes all the difference. Were the RF-7's you listened to broken in? I noticed some harshness when I first got my speakers, but that disappeared after a few dozen hours.

I cant speak for the Synergy series, I never bothered to audition them.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
MY RF3's are playing off a Denon 2802 and a lower end Sony DVD player. I can play movies at VERY high volumes (-10, and up) and it does not sound harsh. It's a small room, so I dont play it that loud. Any speaker will hurt at high volume. ALL of them. Some people are more used to turning up there speakers more then people with klipsch.
Klipsch are also dynamic. Soft is soft. Loud is LOUD. And everyones ears are diffrent. Just enjoy what you have. EVERYBODY I know who has heard my ststem loves it. :D

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Chris,
That's funny:laugh: That's what I thought of B & W's Nautilus 803's (frankly they sounded like crap) that I heard on a Denon 5800, until they were moved to a pre/pro with a yamaha 200WPC amp, then they sounded great.:D I was considering a Denon 5800 until then. With help from people on this forum, I was convinced to go the seperates route.
I have all Klipsch and I think they sound great. I am using an Onkyo 797 as a pre/pro and an AMC 5 channel 150WPC amp and a Carver 100 WPC amp.
They are highly effecient speakers that I also control by using a 9 band graphic equalizer to make subtle changes to music. No adjustment needed for HT.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Denon (heck I have one in the bedroom), I'm just saying I had the same impression with a different set of high end speakers as you did...go figer!:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks