Got my new Klipsch RF-5's AWESOME

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joey Ford, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Joey Ford

Joey Ford Agent

New additoin to my HT -- Stereo

pair of Klipsch RF-5's
    pair of Klipsch RS-7's
    Klipsch RC-7

I've only listened to the RF-5's. I'm waiting for my amps to come in, so I hooked the speakers up to my Pioneer VSX-3300 receiver that I bought in 1989. I'm using that thin as hell speaker wire you get when you buy a car audio speakers.

Despite these "cheap" accessories, these speakers jam! They are crisp and clean. I've read countless messages about the speaker's efficiency. You don't really understand it until you listen to them. They require about 1/2 the power that a typical speaker does. This feature can save you a bundle when you go to purachase an amplifer(s).

Using my new Toshiba SD-9200 also really brings out detail in sound.

Glad to be a new Klipsch owner!

2. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

I have some RB5.II, and I completely agree. They have a very "live" sound, thanks to the horn. I just don't see how people can say they're so bright that they hurt their ears. They sound extremely clear, smooth, and have a hint of warmness playing through my H/K AVR-8000. They were a bit harsh out of the box, but after about 100 hours of break-in that completely disappeared. [​IMG]

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Actually, and this will amaze you, I think, when comparing your speakers to some with a sensitivity of 90 (about average), you would need 8 X'x as much wattage to equal the same output level. That's one reason why so many Klipsch owners opt for tubes. They just don't need that much to drive them. Of course, my Parasound amp has been tested at, I think, 159 watts per channel with all 5 channels being driven and I, for one, appreciate the reserve power for headroom and the fact that I'm pretty sure I'll never get near a point of clipping.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Oh, and Joey, I also wanted to welcome you to the world of Klipsch. I love my RB5's and just enjoy them day in and day out.
    Jason, I'm with you. I've never interpreted their sound as harsh. Klipsch are very sensitive to the power being fed into them though, and the HK's sweet sound should match up just great.
    Go Klipsch.
    Maybe it's time to have a Klipsch love fest. [​IMG]

5. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

My RF3's are great! (The less pretty RF5) They are not harsh. Any speaker will hurt the ear when played very loud.
    Horns are great. (Even the "new" 2way klipsch)
    less distortion. If you play music, and turn to someone to speak, you need to talk louder then you expected! If there was a knob on an amp that could turn up distortion, you would think it's getting louder. (As far as I know) Now Klipsch REF is not hard core horny...lol, they still use horn tweeters.
    Klipsch is great. I don't know why people dis em'[​IMG]

6. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

I'll jump in with some Klipsch love here. I think their reference series is a fantastic value play. For the money spent, I got some great sound. At the time I couldn't do much better at the same price point.

My wife git all upset because I was running with the grills off so I could see the copper colored drivers. Do you guys ever run grill-less, or do you normally keep them covered.

Also, I have a KSW-12 which people around here seem to think is a sub-par sub. Now that I have a decent receiver, any complaints I had about the sub are gone - seems to be doing a more than capable job.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hay guys it's great to see all the Klipsch jargon. I went and auditioned the RF 3s out a few weeks ago and I loved them. I knew that " Hay that is what I'm looking for ", as soon as I herd them. I plan on the works the 1st of the year. A prior promise keeps me on hold untill Jan 1st. Question? How would the c-7 do with the RF-3 towers? The 7 towers are to much for me but I would not mind spending a little more on the center if it makes sence?-- And would a pair of there books do fine as surrounds- SB 1s. I could go with the RS 3- 2s but wouln't mind saving a few if I could. I'm basicly 100% HT.

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I am fond of efficient speakers. So what is the efficiency rating for the Klipsch speakers you guy are talking about? Anechoic measurements please [​IMG]
    Whats the website for Klipsch?

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Chris,
    The website for Klipsch is www.klipsch.com
    Steve,
    I've heard that the RC-3 matches up much better with the RF-3 speakers, as opposed to the RF-7 speakers. I'd go to Klipsch's site and post on the message board for feedback, but I'm pretty sure the RC-7 is too dominant for the RC-3's.
    David,
    I personally keep my grills on. Part of my wife's stipulations on buying my RB-5's for our bedroom was that they had to be the maple color and have the grills on. I love the look with the grills off, but given my wife's demands uh imput, and given our kids and pets, I keep them on.

10. Jason_Me

I have my RC-7 matched up with RB-5.II in the front. The RC-7 does not dominate. Remember, the drivers on the RC-7 are 8", the RF-3, RF-5, and RB-5 all have 8" drivers. The tweeter is the only thing larger on the RC-7. Every Reference speaker except the RB-3 will match with the RC-7, regardless of what Klipsch recommends on their website.

I keep the grills on most of the time, the drivers are easily damaged.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Wow, some of those Klipsch speakers are unbelievabley efficient. Wow. The RF 7 is only 91, but then the 5 is like 99? How can that be? Must be a typo. Still, overall, those speakers are all still so amazingly efficient. Cool. I like that [​IMG] I should go and give them a listen.

12. Jason_Me

The RC-7 is 98 db. The RF-7 is 102 db [​IMG]

13. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

The RB5 is 96, and the RF3 is 98[​IMG]
    -Grills off[​IMG]

14. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

And that means that 1 watt would have an output of 102 decibels. Now, that is amazing.
    I'm starting to feel RF-7 envy.[​IMG]
    By the way, Klipschorns and La Scalas are rated at 104 db's.

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thats a lot of sound for your money [​IMG]

16. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question. I currently have cerwin vega speakers and believe it or not, I like how they sound (by the way, my mains also have a sensitivity of 102db). However, I have heard klipsch and I prefer their sound and am thinking of buying sometime down the road. My concern is that I have a Yamaha rxv3000 receiver which is supposedly bright and so are Klipsch speakers.

My question is, would Yamaha and Klipsch be a bad combo as far as brightness considering I don't think my current set up is overly "bright"?

17. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

When I went and auditioned the RF-3s I thought the klipsch were to bright mated up with the Yamaha IMO. With the denon they were mmm-lovely. I have the Kenwood VR-507 and hope this will be a OK mate?

18. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned the RF-7's they were hooked up to a Denon. I was most impressed especialy with the 15inch sub. The sub was tight, when a bomb went off watching Pearl Harbor it felt like I just took some of the shrapnel in the chest!

Anyone no a good dealer online?

The dealer in my town is selling them at MSRP (no joke)
    I know I can do better than that online even with shipping.

Thanks

19. Jason_Me

Well, you could get a great price on Klipsch speakers from www.AcosuticSoundDesign.com. Its not an authorized dealer. They do honor the full warranty through their store though.
    I got all of my speakers from them. Great service, great prices, highly recommended.

20. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have been looking at them at reliableaudiovideo.com .. I have never dealt with them though.