What's new

Got my new HDTV (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
60" Philips 60PP9202 $1248 to my door.
Ordered off the net from electronicsalley.com it was 3 weeks and 4 days from time of order.

The biggest con of the set, is the fact that it only has one true HDTV component input, the other input is for 480i only, and does not offer the 16:9 Full res sqeeze mode, but does offer progressive scan and interlaced line dubbling.

Very happy, but I need a new DVD player, cause it don't look nothing like HDTV does on it. I'm going for a Kenwood 6050 on the new DVD player, I think anyways. I'm thinking of telling the DVD player I have a 16:9 TV, and running the TV in the 16:9 squeeze mode could produce closer results, along with the ultra nice chip set in the 6050.

Weak NTSC signals are the pits and I have cable.
I am using progressive scan on the TV as the DVD player doesn't have it, it looks amazing, until you switch over to HDTV.

I am going to try running my JVC SVHS VCR as my cable tuner also, just to compare if nothing else, but I need a cable splitter, and some coax.

So in short do the best DVD players rival true HDTV at all?
Or should I just be happy with what I have now, which seems darn good, but if it can even more aproach HDTV, I think I'd at least have to give one a try.

PS: I seem to get about a 56" Widescreen on the 4:3 set, running in the 16:9 full res squeeze mode. I have my HDTV tuner set for 1080i output.

I guess I got to go try some Laserdiscs now. :)

Peace out....

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
Not even if you're TV could benefit from the new players that output 1080i via DVi would a scaled dvd rival hdtv. It would look great, but still pale in comparison to true HD, especially when using a non-reference dvd.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I do understand that 480p in definetly not 1080i...

I probably will just go with what I have for a while longer.

It is a pain to keep switching inputs on the TV, with it setup this way though...

Ya got svideo, the TV NTSC Tuner, DVD 480i component, and 1080i component HDTV. I couldn't find my spare coax cables, to try the JVC SVHS VCR tuner as my cable NTSC tuner, I will try it this evening.

Are there any laserdiscs that offer component video out?
Wouldn't mind try'n the TV's progressive scan on some laserdiscs is all. :)

Of all things I de-virginized the set on Apollo 13 Laserdisc in widescreen. Man did that look awesome even comming off of svideo.

My HT / Living room was sure left a mess, I hope to complete the new HDTV install tonight.

DonDavis

Auditioning
John,
I got the same TV last week (its my first big screen). I'll be watching to see how your set up goes. I'm very technically minded but have not messed with TVs at all. I work on MRI scanners and other Diagostic Imaging equipment. So any tips you could send my way on this set would be greatly appreciated. This set is the first piece of my HT and I'm currently using a Toshiba SD-K615 DVD player on loan from a family member. Long story made short...my house was robbed and they got all my electronics except for a 32"TV. I have not decided on a DVD plyer yet as I want to make sure and get the right one for this TV. The only other component I've decided on is an Onkyo 801 receiver. That will be in a month or so.

The only cal I have performed is the red/blue convergence. What next?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Get a hold of a newer THX DVD, it have the THX optimizer on it. That did absolute wonders for my PQ.

I wish the thing allowed more personal Picture control setting though.

I watched LOTR on it last night, and my goodness, that DVD using the CVI input with 480i, allowing the TV to do the progressive scan, was chilling.

I use OTA HDTV with at 1080i, and use the 16:9 squeeze mode (native 16:9 mode) with nothing short of spectacular results.

Svideo from my Denon Laserdisc player is stellar quality on it. ( I watched Apollo 13 the first night from LD)

I need to get another Coax though, I really think my JVC SVHS VCR will do a better job with the weaker NTSC channels from my cable company, feeding the TV with svideo.

But, you know that little picture button??? If you have a bad looking NTSC channel or source on, change it to weak sgnal, I'll be darn'd if'n that actually doesn't work, really clearing things up. I tend to set it to the Multi-media preset for HDTV though.

The set is a beautiful set for sure, and the price was way right, allowing me to come in quite a bit under budget.
That was a nice bonus, even though that had very little to do with why I bought this particular set. (In the end,I actually thought it had one of the better pictures of any set in my price range period)

DonDavis

Auditioning
I saw that you have the Zenith OTA HD tuner. I had not considered getting one anytime soon but the more I think about it, I probably will in the next 2-3 months.

I'm sure there are more complicated or tweek-able sets out there but I felt this one was just fine for me. I share your thoughts on the 4:3 v 16:9 discussion. I thoroughly dislike the stretch modes. And I really like this picture. I looked at LOTS of TVs and it was driving me batty.
My wife said "Do you like the Philips? Fine, go buy it and be done with it."
I said "Yes, dear."

How far back is your viewing area? Mine is approx 16' but I need better external light control(windows) for daytime viewing. Other than that, I'm happy.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The picture button just allows you to go through and selects different picture settings sets allowing for one personal settings set.

My first seats for viewing start at just under 12', my longest is close to 20'.

One entire wall of my room is windows, it has not been an issue for me at all. But I have one reading light, that causes nasty reflections from certain seating spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks