1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Got my first AMP!! now just couple questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ped, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

I got my first amp (Carver M500t) from Half.com today, for $300 shipped. It's in perfect condition, however, the only problem is that it didn't come with an instruction manual.
    Can anyone point me in the direction to either buy or download the manual for the Carver M500t amplifier?
    I'm going to end up using this bad boy to power my Tempest driver (which I dont have right now), but i'd like the test it. If my speakers can only handle a 175 Watt load, would it be a bad idea to plug this sucker into my mains? Is there a way to control the power output on this sucker?
    Thanx,
    Mike

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

For amps, all ya need to know to hook them up is that interconnects run from preouts of preamp and wire to speakers using the proper color coded terminals.

3. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Thanx for the quick reply!
    [​IMG]
    Didn't realize the power output depended upon something so simple as the volume control.
    Well, to test this thing, I plan on going from my receiver to the amp, to my speakers. The output on the amp is 250Watts per channel for an 8 ohm load. My speakers are 8 ohm speakers and can only handle 175 watts max. So, from what i'm understanding here, as long as I don't blast the thing, I'll be fine right? Sorry if this has already been answered, I'm just clueless when it comes to amps and im paranoid. Thanx again
    Mike
    BTW - What's "clipping"?

4. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Mike, you will be fine by exceeding a speaker's max power rating as long as the amp is sending out a 'clean' (i.e. low distortion) signal. Distortion is what kills speakers. When an amp clips (chops or clips off the top portion of the musical waveform hence the term clipping), distortion increases. Keeping the amp from clipping will preserve your speakers (e.g. I'm running my center channel right now with 400W @ 8 ohms but speaker is rated to 250W); don't take this to the extreme and run 10W max power speaks with a 500W per channel amp [​IMG] .
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html