got my dual velodyne HGS15x's today!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Robert Cowan, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

as the title says, i just got my dual subs in today. i have been waiting a couple weeks, but they finally showed up. one was slightly damamged from shipping, i have to talk to velodyne about replacing it tomorrow.

it took me several hours to set them up. they work well behind each main speaker, about 1" or so from the back wall, facing outwards towards the side walls. this is where i have the most bass.

i didnt do any crazy spl tests because i have it calibrated nicely, and dont want to go messing with the levels. and, subs loosen quite a bit after a few weeks, i can do the tests then. but, for now, im getting an easy 110dB where i sit, at comfortable listening levels.

the room is about 20' x 15' with 15' or so high ceilings. the back is completely open too. so, with openings, the room is around 35' x 20'. its pretty good sized. i had a supercube reference before, and after getting these, i must admit, that deftech was a decent little sub for the cash. these are more than 3x the price.

i do notice the extra headroom quite a bit. everything seems more effortless. plus, i dont have to go adjusting the levels all the time. rap has all the bass it needs, and then classical and jazz doesnt have excess bass, all on the same settings.

but, just in case, i got the remote control option so i can dial it in where i sit. plus, since im doing dual subs, i want to control them both at the same time.

i originally had them hooked up as main preouts, running my fronts full range. but, it sounds best with them hooked up just as LFE.

the cool thing is i am getting a great linear response out of them. i used an spl meter and a frequency sweep, and im getting (from around 25hz - 20khz) about a +-1dB response! the meter was all but fixed during the whole sweep. since the subs are new, and not broken in, it dropped a bit at lower frequencies. all in all, its good! it can only get better with more break-in!

2. Nigel Hooper

Nigel Hooper Stunt Coordinator

Fantastic subs. Enjoy them.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Robert

I may have read wrong, did you mean after correction was applied via the subs your getting a +/-1 across your systems complete FR from 25Hz to 20Khz?

Very nice subs and hope they continue to please.. From reading other owner comments, I understand they will definitely get better with some burn time.

Velo should take care of you on the damage, let us know how that goes...

More measuring fun after some more movie/music hours.

Enjoy the New toys
    Geoff

4. Robert Cowan

Geoff,

the FR is without any equalization! i have plants for bass diffusers, my mains are 3 feet from the wall (back and 5 from the sides). i measured many times with different test tones and sweeps. it amazed me.

im sure velodyne will take care of it, im not the least bit worried, i am a velodyne dealer, i will (un)fortunately get treated better than my customers would.

they are already loosening up actually... a LOT more bass is coming out of them. ive already backed them off a bit. but wow, what great sounds.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I'd consider yourself and your room acoustics to be very fortuant to get a sweet FR run like that.

I'd imagine a few little pushes of a sub here and their was performed as just 6-inchs can make a difference. If you didn't even have to do that, well astonding...

Especially nice to have a asymetrical set up that sounds and measures that nice un eq-ed, sweet...

Plants as diffusers cool, and to be a Velo dealer, nice.

Yup, your all set fer/sure with Velo damage control!....

Cheers
    Geoff

6. Robert Cowan

i am very fortunate with my FR in the room.

i have a compltely symmetrical room though. the wall where the system sits is about 20', and its all centered. the side walls are about 16' long, and are same in length, and the back of the room is open. the ceiling is vaulted to about 15'. so, its a big open room that does very well with acoustics.

its very nice to NOT have eq's in the system, but have such a fine response like that.

7. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

Nice subs Robert!

If you are using the rat shack meter don't forget to add in corrections for the lower frequencies. IIRC, I think you add 5dB to 25 hz and 7.5 dBs to 20 hz. If you haven't done this you might find that you are actually louder than the needle indicates in the lower registers.

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Nice snag, Robert. While it now stands in the shadow of the DD series, the HGS II is still by any standard a great subwoofer. The dual 15's are going to give you some GREAT bass. [​IMG]

9. Robert Cowan

i am using a rat shack meter, but im only giving it a +-1dB rating down to like 25hz. so, the meter is off, but im not assuming a good response there anyways.

the DD series is nice, and i almost got them instead, but knowing now how good my room acoustics are, the DD would have been a waste of money. it is actually identical to the HGSx series with the addition of the EQ feature and adjustable servo control.