What's new

Got my Dr Who's!! (1 Viewer)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Just finished watching Spearhead From Space.
The presentation is a revelation for someone who has only seen the faded PBS print...
Extras are fantastic - All Who fans will want to pick these up.
Nice job, BBC America; and a big thanks to Warners (for a change)!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
quote: Got my Dr Who's!! [/quote]
LUCKY BASTARD! :) :) :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 10, 2001 at 09:01 PM]

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
I was at Ambrosia Books in Los Angeles over the weekend. Philip Segal (Producer of the 1996 Fox Doctor Who Movie) said he was told that the Fox Movie will be out on DVD around December. He didn't say who told him.
It's going to be a Universal release and Mr. Segal said that there will probably NOT be any extras carried over from the Region 2 disc. It'll be Bare Bone. But as far as he's knows, the DVD is coming out in December.
Andrew R

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like the dam is finally breaking on the good Doctor. We also have coming soon from Anchor Bay the films "Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD" and "Doctor Who and the Daleks". Both later this year...Neato!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
It sounds like the dam is finally breaking on the good Doctor. We also have coming soon from Anchor Bay the films "Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD" and "Doctor Who and the Daleks". Both later this year...Neato!
Anchor Bay is also releasing a 3 disc "Doctor Who Gift Set" that will include the 2 Dalek movies along with the Dalekmania Documentary. It's limited to 5000.
Andrew R.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ohhh...mine! And I got the 3 today, too. After today's sad events, I won't watch them immediately, but at least they're in-hand.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Y'know, Dave, I think in times like this it's good for one's mental health to lose oneself in a movie for a couple of hours.......

barry

Agent
Any suggestions on which two titles to pick up out of the three that were just released .
I have enough money allocated to buy two and can't decide.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Nigel, thanks for the link. Don't forget to go to Link Removed
Other than that, I'd say T5D was probably the best of the trio story-wise, from what I recall of watching the series more than 12 years ago, when I lived in Houston (Memphis doesn't carry DW, much to my dismay). SfS is probably next, though RoD and it are probably a coin toss to most people. So, any two you pick...you win! Good luck,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
More thoughts for Barry's contemplation...
The Five Doctors:SE is a fun story, but it is disliked a bit by fans due to some large plot holes. This version would be best for a casual fan or to show a non-fan due to the visual FX upgrades and the Dolby Pro-Logic soundtrack. The Region 1 DVD has an added commentary by Peter Davison and Terrance Dicks which will probably be enough to convince me to buy it next month when I can budget it in.
I watched the first three episodes of the Spearhead from Space DVD on Monday and was just floored by the picture quality. After seeing the dull colors and dirt covered film print used in the Lionheart syndication tapes, it takes a while to stop drooling over the drastic improvements made by the Doctor Who Restoration Team. The audio quality is hit and miss though. The trailers included (from the 1999 rebroadcast on BBC2) are interesting and the UNIT Recruitment film is quite humorous. I haven't listened to the commentary track by Nicholas Courtney and Caroline John yet, but I have heard some good things about it. The story is OK, but frankly I enjoy its sequel Terror of the Autons more (the killer daffodils and phone cords are just brilliant ideas IMHO).
I've never been very fond of Robots of Death, so I have no interest in picking that one up. It has some interesting ideas (many stolen from Asimov though), but the opening episode bores me to tears. I'll let someone else comment on that disk.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I picked up the three discs yesterday, but really haven't been able to enjoy them like I should. (They were going to be a nice birthday release, but with the events on that day...) I did watch about 10 minutes of Spearhead From Space and I was almost as stunned about the picture as I was with Suspiria. I really wish more episodes would be released faster. I'd buy every single disc released.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Spearhead from Space is one of my all time favorites, so naturally, I'll recommend that one (autons of the world, unite!)
Flip a coin as to which of the other two should be your other purchase...
I too want Terror of the Autons sooner rather than later.
If future releases are technically as good as these, I'll buy 'em all, too (probably will in any case)

barry

Agent
Well it now puts me between "Robots of Death" or "The Five Doctors". I just don't remember "Five Doctors" being all that great, but it has been a good number of years since I have seen it".
[Edited last by barry on September 13, 2001 at 09:10 PM]

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I'm going to pick up Spearhead and Five Doctors. I never really cared for Robots of Death. Now, Deadly Assassin, I'd be all over!
wink.gif
I hope they continue to spread out the releases with several Doctors at once. The stories I REALLY want to see on DVD are:
The Time Meddler
The Mind Robber
The War Games
Terror of the Autons
Day of the Daleks
The Deadly Assassin!!!
Logopolis
Caves of Andrazoni
Trial of a Time Lord
Battlefield
That's my top ten. Also, a quick question, is The King's Demons on The Five Doctors DVD? I know it was packaged with the tape. If not, I wonder if it will be put out on it's own? It seems rather skimpy for a single release though.
------------------
Hit pay-dirt with KDRT!
Petition FOX and score The Adventures of Ford Fairlane on DVD!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001933.html

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
Caves of Androzani will be released next April (in the US) along with Remembrance of the Daleks, according to http://www.gallifreyone.com/
No, Kings Demons is not included with the Five Doctors SE. I hope that all stories are released in seperate cases, however, they could release combo packs, such as Key to Time, or Trial of a Time Lord.
I wonder if Inferno (7 episodes) would need two discs, in order to avoid over compression.
Richard

barry

Agent
You know... I just can't decide between these last two, so why not go and do the irresponsible thing and buy all three.
I loved the series when I was a teen and I am finding that it is still the best Science Fiction all these years later.
Thanks to all...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
According to the site Richard Ruffner points to, they say that the 2 titles he mentions will be released because they decided "instead to follow the program currently employed in the UK...the DVD program will...be shifted to a release calendar staggered in conjunction with the VHS release schedule, for a total of six DVD releases in 2002 -- two in April, two in August and two in December -- consisting only of stories already released in the UK on DVD (with the exception of the TV Movie, whose fate for release here is still said to be "up in the air".)"
Which means that Fox would have to release the TV Movie (as in the USA it is theirs), then the April 02 releases are RotD and TCoA as he said, then an Aug. release of Vengeance on Varos and Tomb of the Cybermen, and a December release of The Ark in Space and another one TBD. I suppose that's what the VOTEDOCTORWHO website is for...to figure out what that one should be?...
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Actually, the rights to the 1996 TV Movie aren't that cut and dry. From the reports I have read over the past year or so, either Universal (who made the telefilm) or Studios USA (who may have bought those rights) has the primary video release rights. However, it appears that both FOX and BBC Worldwide also still hold some control over this film and would probably block any release unless they get paid. This would probably make any VHS or DVD editions a low profit venture, so it is unlikely that we will see a North American release anytime soon if ever. I hope that will change.
Check out entry #17 here for confirmation of this:
http://www.pressenter.com/~stevenma/Video_FAQ.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks