What's new

Got my DLS today...possible problem. (1 Viewer)

Matt Nevala

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my DLS today...I think there is a problem with it thought. During stretched bass scenes i hear a boboling noise like and it sounds as if its bottoming out. i have the crossover set to about 75 and the volume about half. I have no adjustment on my reciever except just a -10 to 10 db adjustment. I dont know what to do, im really disapointed and i hope im doing somthing wrong. anyone know what the problem migh be?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I wish you could calibrate Matt. 1/2 on the sub gain is extreme. Between 30-50% on the back sub gain-volume it is very sensitive. It should be able to handle it though at -15 or -20. How do you have it hooked up and to what?

Matt Nevala

Stunt Coordinator
I have it hooked up to my kenwood reciever. it had a mono output, i ran a single rca to 1F 2M adaptor.

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
1/2 is to much gain. a mistake a lot of ppl make is turning the gain up to much. Try it around 10-11o'clock, and set x-over to the center point.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Did you calibrate at all? There's no way to tell how loud it is from what the volume control settings are, those are meaningless. It's a little sub, and there's only so much you can expect.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I received my Dls today as well. I think Matt may be having the same problem I am having. With the sub set to auto it would continually pop as it turned on and off during bass heavy parts of the Matrix (ie helicopter crash). Switching the amp to on solved the problem. Try that Matt. Seems to be a defect in the sensor of the auto on circuit. No delay at all.

I will post some test results tonight after running some tones through it. I am really curious as to how deep it will reach. For $99 bucks though all I can say is WOW!!

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
Glad to hear your initial impression is a "WOW" with this little sub. Sorry to hear about the auto on issue. I've not had an issue with this on my DLS. I'm sure you will hit at least 28Hz tonight when you test, so let us know what happens.

Matt,
I agree with Rick, 1/2 is probably too much. I have my DLS set to 1/4 or so- maybe a tad more. You really should calibrate if you haven't already. By the way, when you say "I have no adjustment on my reciever except just a -10 to 10 db adjustment," are you referring to playing the sub hot via the sub level adjustment or something else? I run my DLS 4dB hot. 10 seems like a lot, but then again that depends on how you've calibrated, right? Hope you get it set up to your liking. Good luck.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Matt,
I see that you are already getting help from Geoff and Steve in another thread- that should be all you need to figure out what the issue is. Good luck. Hope PE helps you out, also- even though it was purchased from eBay. Good luck!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well Jeff it is good to here how the DLS is performing for you. To bad about the Auto function. I would see if PE will send you a new Amp and then you could ship the other back at there cost. I think they will step up to the plate for you and you will not have to suffer with out bass. The Amp will take one phillips screwdriver and 5 min of your time. Have UPS pick up the Amp at your house to if you can work that out.______________________________________
:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I always start with the volume set at 9 o'clock on the dial and then adjust the receiver's sub out volume to calibrate. This will also usually keep the sub from constantly switching on and off.

Give these things a shot and then see how things sound.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Hey,
Brian, Steve, Matt, all of you, this is unrelated: Can I take a sub with a blown amp and work it like a passive sub by hooking it up via the main speakers outs of an external amp that is receiving the sub out from an HT receiver? I know this can be done to a passive amp, but will a powered amp work the same way or do I have to mod it in anyway first?

I'm trying to help someone get this info on the forum and know that you all know- My HT brothers.

Sorry about the interruption!

Matt- How's it going? Does the sub sound better? Give us the dirt asap.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Regarding the sub making a LOUD thump when it kicks on, same thing with the DLS10 I bought for my sister. She called me freaking out, so I just told her to leave it on all of the time.

Here's a question for those of you who have the sub: Does your sub "hum" when on? The one I bought my sister hums pretty loud, which kind of sucks. But they haven't complained so I guess it's not something to bad.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I just plug-em in and run-em hot Jose.:D Well not qwite. Brian is the one to answer that. Never have given it a thought. ________________________________________
Brian YGM at work. Now where is that Matt.:frowning: Poor guy.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I get a humm with all my subs if I turn them up over 1/2 so this presents no problem for me. My Vel's are at 20% and 30% and the DLS is at 35% when in use. The humm is usually from a number of things.> The list goes on and on. "Generally" it is not the sub.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
The problem is it constantly kicks on and off. When the sub is called for it switches on and off maybe once per second so definitley not a signal problem from the reciever. Once switched to on no problems though. Funny. I may just leave it on all the time. Not really a big problem. I will be posting a few test results shorlty.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
1/2 hr ago Brian. Send me a private mail on where it is best to mail you. Sorry guys!

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
I remember reading about someone who had that same problem with their DLS when I first got my DLS. I'm pretty sure he said that PE sent him a new amp without even waiting for the old amp to be sent back to them and it happened within 2-3 days I believe. Otherwise, leaving it on shouldn't be a problem from what I've read.

Brian,
Thanks!

Jeffrey,
I got a hum once when my connections were loose- I was using a female to female connector to connect two sub cables to get a longer run. The problem was solved when I used one longer cable. There was a lot of dancing going on so the connector was always being moved about. Now we dance and dance and there is no hum at all...at least not from the sub;)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i think you're speaking of me? the problem with my DLS was with the volume knob..at first it was working all right...but every once in a while the volume would jump up and everything would be very boomy...then it just stuck that way and the knob was just useless...

but yeah....eric from PE handled everything great

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks