Got My Denon home yesterday :D

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tom DeWitt, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Tom DeWitt

Tom DeWitt Auditioning

I had ordered a AVR-2106 last week and the local shop (Myer-Emco)and when I got there they only had recived a stack of other recivers but not 2106's. so they let me audition a off the showroom floor AVR-3805 for a VERY, VERY!! nice price (within $150 of the 2106)

all I can say is WOW this is the best reciver I have ever had in my home. and better than anything I have ever played with from Curcit City or Best Buy. I do think I'm going to upgrade to the 3806 though.

I can very much notice at high music levels my main speakers are out running my poor subwoofer.

Curently in my room:
    Reciver: Denon AVR-3805
    Front SP: Klipsch SF-2 (dual 6.5")
    Rear SP: Bose 201
    Center: Bose
    Sub: 100 watt 12" Infinity

2. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya TomD,

Lucky you from 2106 to a 3805, on the subject of subs go SVS (best bang for buck)

Enjoy..

Regards.
    David SGT

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Tom,

Glad to hear your opinion of the Denon in your set up. It's also good to see that Myer Emco has Denon in their stores, now. About 6-7 months back, they cleared out their stock of Marantz and it was "rumored" that Denon will be filling the slots.

4. Tom DeWitt

Tom DeWitt Auditioning

I have been on the hunt for a new reviver for the last month, I have tried A Pioneer VSX-1015TX, Yamaha HT-5880 and a Pioneer VSX-815 to replace my 3-year old Sony STR-985 and this Denon even though it lists $400 more than the big Pioneer and the Yamaha, it is head & sholders above them in sound quality and suround processing power.

We watched Independence day last night and was instantly impresed with the sound and mostly where it was coming from at any given moment.

5. John S

John S Producer

It's sure easy to become a Denon head like many of us are.

[​IMG]

I see many great sounding movies and music in your future. Congrats.

6. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I'm looking at Denon for my next receiver. I just wish they'd come out with a unit that had HDMI switching for under $600. I am kind of waiting to see what comes out to take advantage of the new HD surround formats, though I'm sure those will all be really expensive at first, so I'll probably end up with something that is already out.

How much can a receiver change sound quality? I'm currently running Polk RT35i mains, CS245i center, RT10 surround, and a Klipsch KSW12 (considering upgrade to SVS MTS-01 when that comes out). Will a receiver like a midrange Denon vastly improve my sonic experience? Current receiver is an old Kenwood VR309.

Brian

7. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

I went from a Denon 2801 to a 3806, I lack the proper vocabulary to explain the difference I heard, but WOW would sum it up rather well. Watched War of the Worlds the other night and was amazed at the sound the Denon produced...

I haven't used the hdmi switching yet, but it is one of the main reasons i bought it. I figure i'll have it if and when i need it.

8. John S

John S Producer

It is really hard to impair upon people the improvement that comes along with each series upgrade in the Denon line... 4000 series stuff is just that much better than 3000 series stuff which is just that much better than 2000 series stuff, ect..ect... I would assume the 5000 series stuff is just that much better than 4000 series stuff, but nobody I know has ever purchased any 5800 series products for me to truly audition. [​IMG]

You definitly get a bump in build, sound quality and overall performance with each jump in series with Denon.

9. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I was thinking about upgrading to the 3806 until I read that the 2807 was coming in March with almost the same wattage rating but with a few improvements, at a list of $1,099. It would be informative to see the difference in those two.

10. Mike_J_D

i wonder if it will have hdmi switching, or the cool bi-amp feature of the 3806?

11. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

12. Mike_J_D

thanks, sounds like a lot of bang for the buck.

13. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Hmm, I was considering getting the 3806 this Spring. I might have to wait and compare it to the 2807.

14. John S

John S Producer

Right, but just know.. No matter what the specs/features say the 3800 series is worth the extra money as is the 4800 stuff over the 3800 series stuff.

15. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Really, in what way? I Know some amp sections are better than others but where does the law of diminishing returns kick in, especially priced within $200?

16. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Only you can really decide where the law of diminishing returns comes in. For me, I think I'd start looking seriously at separates like Outlaw if my receiver budget is around $2000. The main reason is that I get an external amplifier that I won't need to upgrade. Under demanding situations the external amp will generally perform better than a receiver; however, for everyday, normal use the amps in the 38xx and 48xx Denon receivers are very capable.

I have a 3803 that I'm still very happy with. I don't think I'll upgrade again until the HD DVD/Bluray/network switch to all digital plays itself out some. The changing HDMI standards have me worried. The feature of the new Denon receivers I'm most interested in is the room eq feature. It seems to do a good job.

I suspect HDMI switching will start showing up in $600 receivers soon.

17. Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer Stunt Coordinator

Already has ..JVC so an HDMI switching reciever for 300 bucks.
    Not sure of the quality tho a coworker just bought one so watch this space for comments.

I upgraded to a 3806 about a month ago then I heard the 2807 was coming out for 200 less with pretty much the same features.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Audessy MultiEQ is worth getting tho.

My old setup used to have the crap beat out of it by DTS tracks like War Of The Worlds.

3806 takes it all in its stride [​IMG]

Theres a set of Inifinity Primus 150 bookshelves and 360 Floors hooked to it and it all seems to sound great.

18. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Hehe, my four year old $350 Technics SA-DA8 receiver has that feature (sorry, couldn't resist!).

19. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I just read about the 2807 at CNet. I think that's my #1 contender for a new receiver now. I just wish they'd put more HDMI inputs on it. I anticipate at least 3 possible HDMI sources this year: my PC I currently have hooked direct to my TV, a BD player, and a HD sattelite receiver. I guess I could always hook the PC up to my TV with the VGA input on the TV. I do like that they are going to come out with an iPod dock though [​IMG]

It will make a good pairing with the SVS MTS-01 system I want to get [​IMG]

20. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Steve - you've got a great setup. I wouldn't get too upset about a newer, cheaper receiver coming out with the same features you have. It happens every month. It's almost impossible to stay ahead in this game.

The things I've bought that aren't obsolete 2 months after I bought it are: Paradigm Studio speakers, Outlaw amps, Universal Remote MX-700.