Got my 775 running Multi-Channel!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Geelan, Oct 5, 2002.

1. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I would like to thank Greg Johnson for providing me 2 Radio Shack switchers last week. This evening I installed them into my Sony 775 SACD player and Panasonic RP91 with the ICBM in the middle.
    And Wow! Does the James Taylor SACD JT sound nice in Multi-Channel or what! Very impressive. Now I have to go out a buy some more Multi-Channel SACD's.
    I know I need Tubular Bells and that new Alice In Chains Greatest Hits SACD.
    Again thanks Greg and KeithH for inspiring me to tackle this project. It wasn't easy as I had to pull out my Home Theater Furniture and re-wire the ICBM. Man, all these cables are insane. Radio Shack got a little richer this week with my cable purchases.
    But now my system sounds great in 2 channel and 6 channel.
    Thanks guys!
    JohnG[​IMG]

2. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I was glad to help and am glad to hear that the set-up is working for you. Nice! [​IMG] As for the Alice in Chains SACD, it is not the best-sounding SACD out there. However, it is much better than the Greatest Hits CD. I have both discs, and the SACD wins hands down. If you like Alice in Chains, get this SACD. However, if you are looking for the ultimate SACD reference disc, look elsewhere. [​IMG]

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

John,

We both had a similar experience this week. I did not need to make the same additions as you did to your system. However, I finaly sent some longer cables out to be shortened about a month ago and they arrived during the week. I connected them yesterday for 5.1 channel output. Your are correct, lots and lots of wires.

It's the first time I used the SACD player in multi-channel mode as I wanted the right cables before I listened. I was a devout 2 channel listener, but my ears were delighted with the multi-channel experience.

As always Keith and Greg were/are helpful as I read many of their posts helping getting my head together on how to approach the purchase and cabling of the SACD player. Directly and indirectly, they are a wealth of information.

Now, if I can get the cash together for that Denon DVD-9000, I might just be where I need to be in the world of audio/video enjoyment. All good things in time.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles, thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear you too are enjoying the multi-channel SACD experience. I still prefer stereo, but I love having the option of multi-channel for music.
    By the way, I love your signature. [​IMG] Perhaps they were quite vain and didn't want their hair to get messed up as they were flying. [​IMG]

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

I've been a two channel advocate all my life. However, the 5.1 does add a feeling of a "Live," "In Your Face" enviornment. It's refreshing to hear the mixing that takes place and sound appearing in different areas of the room. Plus when you add the clarity of the technology, it's a true winner IMHO.
    The nicest item of all is the ability to change the enviornment in your listening area from 2 channel to 5.1. Flexibility is a wonderful thing. I sense a surge for more multi-channel discs. [​IMG]
    Glad you like the signature. I picked that quote up in a James Patterson novel entitled, "WHEN THE WIND BLOWS." If you are into reading his books, this is a great novel.
    Many on here spend hours and hours sharing their experiences and helping others. That effort is appreciated on this end.
    I generally do a search first to attempt to cut down on new threads. There is a multitude of SACD information in this area of the forum and it's been a blessing if you take the time to do the research.
    Thanks again,
    Charles

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles, multi-channel is great for music in some implementations. I am just not comfortable with "whiz-bang", music-from-all-angles multi-channel mixes. For one thing, such mixes bear no resemblence to a real performance.* Furthermore, there often seems to be no rhyme or reason to how these mixes were made. These issues aside, I do enjoy these multi-channel mixes as a change of pace. However, I always come back to stereo mixes. This is why I prefer SACD to DVD-Audio. With SACD, I know every disc will have a stereo track. [​IMG]
    * I like multi-channel mixes for music with sound effects. A nice effect is using the surrounds for ambient sounds, such as rain and thunder. As an example, I love the 5.1 mix of "Riders on the Storm" on The Doors L.A. Woman DVD-Audio disc.

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I did notice the intro. that you mentioned, and I don't know the story behind it. It seems to me that I have heard it before, but I don't recall where. I don't think it was in The Doors movie. It could be on one of the many Doors documentary videotapes I bought many years ago.

10. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

One reason why I decided to upgrade now to SACD (I have had DVDA for almost a year now) was the fact it does Multi-Channel.
    The added benefit of Hi-Rez Stereo mix's is great but having the choice of a multi-ch mix is enticing!

My wife got a kick out of James Taylor's great song TerraNova in multi-ch from JT last night.
    It sounds fantastic!
    Carly's vocals at the end give me chills.

11. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

John,
    I'm glad to see you put the switches to good use and you are enjoying MC SACD's.[​IMG]
    One of my favorite MC SACD's is Jazz At The Pawnshop for sound quality and just for the music. A little exspensive at $60 but it is a two disc set. You'll probably have to buy it online as well. Both discs haven't left the carousel of my 555ES since I got it.
    Greg Johnson