Got my 2039 PCi...I LOVE IT but...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Wolfman, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

the wife HATES it! Help me hide it somehow. She likes a "country" look. You know, like Ralph Lauren interiors. Do you guys have any suggestions?????? Thx.

2. Rob*Gallo

Rob*Gallo Agent

Trade it in for the new SVS PB1-ISD when it comes out this month...

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

You could paint some pretty pansies on it. [​IMG]

4. GioAngles

GioAngles Auditioning

LOL

My wife is also very big on "country" style furniture. I thought you were talking about her for a second there. I'm dreading the day I buy my own SvS.

Here's an idea! Take her to a fabric store and have her pick out a nice quilted/floral pattern. Then buy enough of it to wrap around the speaker, without covering the top and bottom.

Sure, it's not the most attractive option, but you'll get to keep your sub, and she'll have a beautiful country cylinder. When not in use, top it with a miniature English tea set, and the illusion is complete!

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Women. . . You gotta love em. . .

6. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

Yup, I gotta suggestion: SVS SS. She can pick the stain color and can even put some knicknack on top for decorating.

I'd add a smiley, but it might just be serious.

Eric

P.S. or wait for the new boxes. I'm waiting to see how they perform, as well as if they can be decorated.

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Put a cowboy hat on it for that "country" look.

8. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

For a country look... I guess you could lay it on it's side, strap a saddle to it, and play the Lord of The Rings at reference. Pretend it's one of those mechanical bulls.

9. Josh Wolfman

I spoke to eric today...the new box in my price range will have a "textured" black surface. I don't know if that will be any better. I really do love the way the sub sounds. I had it a full 20db's louder than the rest of my system and it did not bottom out even when watching Monsters Inc on the Sony DA4ES at -30!!!!! It was shaking the room!

10. Rob*Gallo

Rob*Gallo Agent

Sorry, should have mentioned earlier that the new SVS box will have the textured black surface. However, the box style should/might be easier to hide thus negating the need for decorating.

I'm going through the same thing with my new speakers. They have to have a dark wood finish (like cherry or dark apple) to get any WAF. So, I am likely going with the Paradigm Studios over Mirage Omnis or B&Ws. Not telling her that the PB1-ISD is black.

Since the performance of the new subs was mentioned by Eric C D, here is an email i received from Ron at SVS yeesterday...

"I actually just checked on the cabinet makers today, and they are on track to deliver our first enclosures next week some time. After we finalize boxing, test out a few production subs and make sure our photos are in place we’ll unleash pre-orders with shipping to begin shortly thereafter.

Hope this helps. I have had a PB1-ISD in daily use for several weeks now and I can promise that SVS is about to do the same thing to affordable box subs as it did to cylinder subs and all other over-priced boxes too."

11. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I just picked up a 25-31PC+ a little while ago. I'm in the same sort of situation. I kinda wish I had known about the new box subs, too. I definitely know I wanted to go with SVS, no questions at all. But I'm sure the wife would have really appreciated to have a smaller box instead of the cylinder. Oh well.

Aaron

12. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

I'm an early 20-39 PC owner, and an admitted SVS faithful (I don't plan to ever have any other mfr). However WAF is a factor (but not an issue) for me as well. I had my share of askance looks when the big black water heater was put in the living room.

So now comes the story of Tom V and the three boxes. There is NO way to get a B4 in my place - too big, too powerful. The PB1-I wouldn't be an upgrade. But a PB2+ might be "just right." (hmmm, my locks are kind of gold - but no blond jokes now!)

If I can get an upgrade and upgrade the WAF at the same time, this might be a win-win even before it gets to the door. Yes, my cylinder might have a smaller footprint, but I think there's some unwritten rule about visible cross section of unbroken black that I've broken - it plays hell with the decorating scheme. And I KNOW the square footage of black is multiplied by some factor because it's electronics gear. And let's not talk about the number of electronics boxes. That's probably an exponential function.

I just have to figure out the whole formula so I can try to work WITH it when I upgrade my equipment. Maybe if I build in an infinite baffle sub, I can get bigger main speakers. "Honey - have I ever described Klipschorns?"

Eric

13. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

The "country" look should be easy. Wrap it in red fabric, and make a frame which holds a half sphere of white fabric on top of it, so that it looks like a grain silo. When you add the B4, you can decorate it to look like a barn.

14. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

When I picked out the furniture for my new home, I was keeping in mind sub placement. We bought a large overstuffed chair that I am putting in the corner at a 45 degree angle. Of course my wife stuck a ficus tree back there temporarily, but that is the perfect space needed to put a sub behind.
    Solution. Buy a large overstuffed chair with ottoman, so when you watch your Monsters Inc you have the bass giving you a full back massage at the same time [​IMG]

15. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

16. Brian Henchey

17. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

For the country look - get a fake woodstove for the corner and use the SVS as the stovepipe.

My work is done here....

18. Josh Wolfman

My room is 12X20X8 with hard wood floors and two small openings at oppossite ends of the room. When the sub rumbles, you can feel it in your chest- when they set off the bomb in Monsters Inc the sub feels like it punched you in the chest![​IMG]

19. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor