What's new

Got my 1014 :-) (1 Viewer)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Ok, got it last night and set her up.

MUCH more involved then my old 811.

Did a basic trial run thru with MCACC. Set ALL my speakers to large for some reason (jbl E80,s EC35 center, e10 SURROUNDS, n24 REAR SURROUNDS 8"HK SUB).

Will take a while to really dial this in. Overall sounded pretty good, but still needs some setup work (there is a lot to deal with). More natural sounding then the 811, always needed loudness turned on). Still sounds fuller (more bass) with loudness on, but I haven't really turned it up yet either.

???

DTS, can you have PLIIx on top of DTS or is it only DD that you can use it.
When I popped in a DVD with DTS it always came up as DTS:Neo 6.

DLPIIx over DD5.1 DEFINATELY used my rear surrounds MUCH more then the 811.
For those with 7.1, do you ALWAYS use DPLIIx with DD 5 or 6.1 (DVD and or DD broadcasts)?
Also, HD and DVD via component looked noticeably better then thru the 811 (27mhz vs 40mhz I guess makes a difference.

Overall, pretty happy with it for the 2hours I spend with it late last night, but I will really have to get into it tonight and tomorrow.

I like the remote and the learning function. May not need a different universal remote that I thought I would.

I will certainly post more once I tweak it a bit more.

Altho I did get more thump out of my sub with the 811 and loudness on, I am having trouble figuring out why I am not getting the same. Maybe the 80vs 100 crossover on the 811 is making a difference. My sub stinks anyway, but I live in Apt now, so an SVS is out of the question (but a 10" Dayton may not be).

Anyway, any thoughts from 1014 users (especially advice) would be much appreciated.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
DD 5.1 or DTS sounds better to me than Prologic II. If you leave the receiver in the "Auto Surround" mode, it automatically switches modes depending on program source. If you activate the "Extend" mode on the front panel of the receiver, all sources except Stereo will feed matrixed signal to rear surrounds, which usually sounds good.

The MACC setup is quick and easy and made my system sound better than it ever has. I had a Pioneer 810 before the 1014. The loudness control effect was much more pronounced on the 810. I think you will find the lesser bass boost with loudness is better after you get used to it.

It would be possible to use your 811 for biamping any speakers that have connections allowing it. The 811 could be hooked up like a power amp to the preamp outputs from the 1014. I wonder how this would work for a separate amp for a passive sub?

What a great value for the cost! You could have spent over $1K and be stuck with a receiver that has less features and less power.

Good luck!

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dick, do you use the loudness on the 1014 like you had to on the 810 (I assume you had to because I did on the 811). No regrets with this so far. For the short time I played with it, it seemed more natural then the 811 with loudness.
Looking forward to putting in the "wrench" time to get her right :)

Dick, do you have a 7.1 speaker setup?

Wife is gonna be pissed if I tell her I need a new sub, hehehehee.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Uh oh, there she is :)

Thanks for the 1014 baby. :)

When we sell the 811, instead of remote, how about a new, beter sub :)

Tell her fellas, won't be as boomy, just tighter bass :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I will say for HT, the SUB has the single most impact on performance in my opinion. :)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Very true. We live in an Apt tho, so thundering bass is pretty tough. I was explaining the difference to the Mrs. bewteen boomy bass (which we have now with a cheap sub) vs, tight, accurate BASS (which should travel less thru the walls then the boomy stuff).
Anyone who would like to assist me with this, please feel free.
If I do look at a new sub, it would most likely be the Dayton 10", no more budget then that.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Even in an Apartment, the performance increase would certainly be worth the price of that Dayton sub. If I remember correctly, that sub just isn't all that expensive relative to many other quality subs out there for sure.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Actually, when on sale for $99 (down from 129 or so) + $30 to ship, supposedly nothing can touch it in price range.

Will most likely get it when I sell off my 811 instead of a new remote.

Looks like no stock on those until 4/1/2005 :-(

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Got the best wife on the Planet. Instead of busting my chops about hometheater, she bought me the 1014 and offered to get the Dayton sub too ( will use proceeds from current receiver sale for that tho :)

You guys just may get to see her post about timber matching and imaging soon :)

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I use the loudness function when listening at moderate levels, which is 90% of the time. When watching a movie at high volume levels, the loudness compensation is not needed for adequate bass, but has little effect when the volume control is turned up. After you have your sub, it will be a whole new ball game and you may not want the loudness control switched on.

Yes, I do use a single rear channel for 7.1, maybe someday hooking up a second rear surround. With 7.1 as it is today, the two rear surrounds have the same signal to them, anyhow, so the only advantage of two rears would be power handling or dispersion. My rear surround speaker does not match the other ones, but with the MACC, it has been compensated to sound much like them. I could never get it right with the 810 receiver.

My 1014 shut down twice when extremely high level low bass caused an overload. Turning it back on and continuing at a lower volume level fixed the problem both times. It seems the 810 was more easily overloaded. It's so easy to lose track of volume on a movie like Monstors, Inc., where the sound is so good and dynamic range so great that your ears don't notice the high levels. I love those kind of movies.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Mike I just got my 1014 too. As far as bass sounds I noticed the same thing. However after looking into the equalization settings I noticed that it turned down all the low frequencies. This is actually good because it flatness the response and cuts that "boominess" down. See if this is the case with your set up. If so, just turn your sub up 2-3 db's. Also you should fine tune calibration with a calibration disk. I notice that using the receiver test tones had the sub running a few db's cold. After you calibrate take a listen. Then if you like add db's on the sub to your taste. I noticed the same thing when I hooked my 1014. I think its just because were use to the over-exagerated bass that came from non-flat room response. After I got it tweaked just right I put in Return of the King, Battle scene 37. It was a thing of beauty.

P.S. Make sure the sub attenuation is off!!!

P.S.S. You shouldnt need the loudness with this receiver.

P.S.S.S. MCACC set all my speakers to large as well. I actually tried switching all to small except front. They actaully sound better as large. My center and surrounds are good down to 50hz. So it actually sounds pretty good with x-over at 80hz.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Thanks Ryan, I def. noticed that a lot of the boominess was taken out and it was flatter repsonse wise.

What sub you guys using? My budget will only be around $250 MAX.

Thanks.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I'm no expert, but I'm coming to learn that, to my ears, audio should be listened to using the format for which it was encoded. 5.1 for 5.1, mono for mono, stereo for stereo, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks