What's new

Got Me a Projector, Now What About Connectors? (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I just bought a JVC SX21 D-ILA front projector. I've wanted a D-ILA since I first saw one about three years ago, and now I have one. I wanted a projector that could be watched from a fairly close distance without seeing screendoor and this seems to be the best in that regard (this wasn't the only reason I wanted D-ILA).

I also bought, on Ebay, a MOVI dvd player. I wasn't looking for this particular player, or any player for that matter, but I just happened to come across an auction on Ebay and decided to put in a low bid, fully expecting to be blown out. I won. So now I own a $2300 list price dvd player (paid less than 1/4 of that) dvd player in addition to my other five.

Which brings me to a question. The MOVI is a minimalist design with a super vengeance. The only video outputs on the MOVI are RGBHV via 5 BNC connectors. Inputs on the SX21 are 1.) RGBHV via 5 BNC connectors, 2.) 15-pin RGBHV and 3.) 21-pin DVI-D. I would like to connect my MOVI player to the RGBHV 5 BNC input, and my future scaler (for other sources) to the 15-pin. 15-pin connectors seem easy enough to find, but where can I find BNC to BNC connectors? All I have found so far are the 15-pin to BNC sorts. Somebody must have these.

So - where do I find such connectors?

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
You could also try Radio Shack, they probably won't be in stock, but they carry BNC terminated cables, or at least they used to. If you are in a jam you could try RCA/BNC adapters and use conventional RCA terminated wires while you find your correct cables.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiousity...has anybody ever heard of any kind of wireless solution to get from the receiver to the FP mounted on the ceiling?

Looking at pricing for a good sized room it'd be like $4000 in component cables (ok, maybe not that much but might as well be.

How about using some cheaper long RGB cables and using some kind of RGB->Component converter?

I'm not in a position to buy anything right now, but it's one of the questions I've been kicking around while I search for a house with the right room for HT.

-Seth

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Great choice on the SX21. I actually picked up a Dukane 9017 (clone of SX21, except with 5 year warranty). For the price, these things are amazing.

DVI looks absolutely beautiful on this projector, definitely a step up from VGA or component.

Here's another place to get RGBHV cables:

BlueJeansCable

I just finished making a ceiling mount for the projector (I'm using a rail, because I'm always upgrading).

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah - what's with the 5-year warranty by Dukane and only 1-year from JVC? I did get an excellent price though.

I love your rail system. I haven't mounted mine yet, so it gives me an idea I didn't have before, although I will probably use it on the screen and not the projector.

None of my players, including the incredibly expensive MOVI, include a DVI out. The MOVI, in case anyone doesn't know (and I'll bet many don't), is basically an HTPC is the guise of a regular dvd player, without the hassles of an HTPC.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Gabriel,

Do you have additional pictures of the completed ceiling mount with your projector? The image you posted looks great! I'd be interested to see more...

-thanks

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, it's not all complete yet, but it's installed at least. I still need to
finish the ceiling plate, and bundle/tuck the wires.

Projector mounted (from front)

Projector mounted (from side)

The Movi is a good all around choice, because let's face it, the processor in the SX21 isn't the best. Going native rate into the SX21 makes a sizable difference.

I probably should have gotten the SX21 since I switch projectors so often, but ah well, what's done is done. I paid just a hair over $6k for the Dukane.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Gabriel, really interesting to see the other photos of the mount. What is the clear material & how did you put that together???

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The mount is actually 5 pieces (not including bolts, nuts, and washers). There are 4 pieces of lexan, carved out of a big block of the stuff, then drilled and polished. The plate is a 1/2" thick piece of lexan as well, with a very slight green tint to it to make it look like glass. The edges were beveled and polished as well. I just had it done at a local plastics shop. The 4 blocks costed about $45 together, and the plate was surprisingly cheap at $18. I can take some closeup pictures later.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Gabriel: Do you use a scaler or an HTPC with your Dukane? I have the MOVI for dvd, but I'm also a big laser disc owner, plus I have SVHS, and then there's regular TV, etc... I have been considering the Lumagen Vision scaler, possibly the Vision Pro, as the most cost effective for me right now. How about you?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I'm still setting mine up. I have a computer I'm turning into a HTPC (Radeon 9700 Pro video card, DVI out), but still need to play with the resolutions. I'm projecting onto a 100" 16:9 firehawk, and do not have a Panamorph nor an ISCOII. I haven't had a chance to really play around with the resolutions, and am not sure it takes 1400x788. I'm hoping there's a way to do 1:1 pixel perfect with it, but no one really seems to know. I also have a Bravo D1, which I need to play around with more. 480p works fine out of the DVI, but I haven't played around with the resolutions much yet on this projector.

I'm most likely going to see how the HTPC works for me, since the scaling on that is excellent compared with low cost scalers. If it ends up being too cumbersome, I may have to invest in a stand alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks