got in a fight with my manager over this....need clarification

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RyanSoares, Jan 13, 2004.

1. RyanSoares

RyanSoares Stunt Coordinator

i was telling him about Rogers cable new video on demand and he goes yeah thats nice "but every channel on cable isn't digital i have bell expressvu and i get %100 digital on every channel!!!" i told him yeah thats what bell is sending you but your tv converts that signal to analog to be able to show it..... he went off on me saying how thats what he heard in the commercial and thats what the tech guy who came to his house to hook it up told him.... i said obviously there not gonna tell more than you have to know......plus he's not lying... bell is broadcasting the channels in digital but your not able to receive it in digital because you don't have a digital tv..... please can anyone help me out, i don't know alot but i know i'm at least half right....

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Don't fight with your manager, even if you win you lose [​IMG]

3. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I know nothing about Rogers. I can tell you that if his set is NTSC only then it is only showing an analog signal regardless of how the signal arrives at the cable box. The cable box is converting the signal to analog for the TV.

N

4. John S

John S Producer

Digital TV, is an achronymn that has no real meaning...

You get into literal interpretations of its exact meaning.

Your both right, by your own meanings.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Unless he owns a TV that uses a technology which is purely digital for creating the image -- such as LCD, DLP, etc. -- and uses a digital video connection, such as DVI, between the cable box and the TV, then the video signal must be converted to analog at some point -- usually at the cable box. Any CRT-based display is an analog device by its very nature. Composite, svideo and component video signals are all also analog.

Small dish satellite and "digital cable" systems use a digital method to compress and transmit video and audio signals. It still gets converted back to analog at the convertor box before being sent to your display.

6. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

But the point here is that Rogers does not use any digital process for channels 2-100. From 101 up they do use a digital process to send the signal and the video is noticeably better and Dolby 2.0 and 5.1 sound is received.

ExpressVu uses the same process for all channels, from 2 on up.

7. John S

John S Producer

My point is that CC for instance seems to call any HDTV anything Digital TV. That is really wrong, but like I say, everybody has their own take on this, I suppose.

I would be somewhat inclined to go along with it, if it is digital all the way to the set top box, and then component video to the set. Not really true, but close enough for me.

To me he would have to have a true digital display....
    DPL
    LCD
    PLASMA
    LED

But I conceed, Digital TV has many meanings to many different people.