Got HDCD But Not SACD/DVDA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I know, I know, I'm not about comparing 2-chl with multi-chl. It's finding HDCD in the stores?!

Like I was in Best Buy today to pick up a new DVD release. I browsed the music CD racks but I never have a title in mind, I just look at random. I find it depressing.

Since I do have an HDCD standalone player, I can play these disks if I come across a title that supports it. But I hate flippin' thru everything. And it seems most CDs if you read the fine print are remastered from '60s, '70s, and so on, and much of the classical, at least in BB, are "The Best of (Mozart)" ack.

I'll look at Books N Borders next. Maybe they have an HDCD rack. What do you think?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, HDCD discs can be played in any CD or DVD player. If the player has no HDCD decoding chip, then it will play the disc like any other CD. As a result, not all HDCD discs have the logo to signify that they are specially encoded. In this vein, HDCD is unknown to the general public and retailers, so HDCD-encoded discs are thrown in with the standard CDs (no special display). However, check out www.hdcd.com for a list of encoded discs.

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Many re-mastered CD's from the past are HDCD-encoded, e.g., almost the complete Beach Boys back catalog is. Also, I find that many disks don't even mention on the jacket that they are encoded when in fact they are.

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

rick, keith[​IMG]
    the catalog link is a saver!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, glad to help.