1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Got digital cable- now is there any way to....

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Bob Morgan, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

Is this the best option to record premium channels with digital cable while watching a different channel?
    [​IMG]
    #4 - Hook Up Option C
    Cable Box Hook Up With A/B Switch
    Allows you to separate the usage of the cable box from the TV so that you can watch a family cable channel on the TV, while recording a second family or premium cable channel from the cable box. This hook up requires additional hardware and cable (A/B switch kit) available from any Cablevision Walk In Center.
    To Hook Up:
    Plug incoming cable into the port marked, "IN" on the two-way splitter.
    Run a second cable from either of the output ports on the two-way splitter and connect it to the "Cable In" port on the extreme right rear of the cable box.
    Insert a third cable into the port at the extreme left rear of the cable box marked, "To TV", and plug the other end into the port marked, "Antenna In" at the back of the VCR.
    Run a cable from the port at the back of the VCR marked, "Antenna Out" to the "B side" of the A/B switch.
    Connect a cable from the remaining output port on 2-way splitter to the "A" side of A/B switch.
    Connect a cable from the middle port on A/B switch to the port marked, "VHF/UHF" on back of TV.
    http://www.cablevision.com/customer/...ug/hkup_c.html

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co
    I split the cable at the wall.

One line goes to the TV input of my TV and I can get all the analog channels with the TV selected to "TV Input".

The other line from the splitter goes into my cable box. Out of the cable box it goes into my VCR. The S-Video out from my VCR goes into "Input 1" of my TV. I can watch and/or record any channel via "Input 1" on my TV.

Also, my DVD Player is hooked up via S-Video, into and out of a SIMA Color Corrector, then into the S-Video IN on my VCR. This enables me to record DVD, if I want to. Something I used to do a lot, but now much less since I started collecting DVD's instead of just renting them.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

double post

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have the same hookup between TV, VCR and Cable box that John does, except composite instead of s-video. That's a better and easier alternative than the one in Howie's picture, and eliminates several cables as well as the A/B switch.

You could still use an A/B switch though, if you want to be able to watch a digital channel while recording a non-digital one. In that case, hook it up right after the cablebox instead.

5. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Do what I did-- dump digital cable and get DirecTV with a DirecTivo unit.

Now I can RECORD two shows at once all the time while watching a third pre-recorded show.

It is the way to go. I am glad I made the move!

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Save for the digital/premium channels, you can do the same thing by just buying another VCR or a Tivo. Of course, if you do watch a lot of those channels, DirecTivo is a much better alternative.

/Mike