What's new

Got AVIA, SVS doesn't kick in until 50Hz... placement? (1 Viewer)

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
I have just been checking on the Behringer Thingy:

I can get a Behringer BFD 1100P for about 100 dollars. Is it worth getting one?

Or would it be better to go for the 1124 instead?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Willem, for the pupose being cited the 1100 is perfect,so if you wanna save some dough then buy that one.
I have the same model[1100].They look exactly alike too.

kevitra

Second Unit
Try moving your sub into the middle of the room, a different corner, etc. I'd try to get sound you can here in the 80hz range before you go out and buy a BDF.

FYI: I had a +20dB hump at 50Hz with my 25-31. I could still hear 80Hz, it was just a lot quieter. After the BFD, it is like listening to a new sub.

TerryHenson

Agent
It was only after I bought a 30ft sub cable and moved my svs to rear of the room was I able to get rid of a 30dB fluctuation between 54Hz and 42Hz. Location is very critical. Only use the EQ as a last resort.

Terry

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your replies,

I still haven't had time to try moving the sub. Hopefully I'll be able to do that tonight. Hopefully I can eliminate the deep gaps to some extent, and if I still have big humps I'll have to EQ them out.

This subwoofer thing has become by far the toughest thing to get right in my HT. :)

Warren_Sc

Second Unit

... and it will be the most satisfying thing to fell when you get it right. You might want to move your mains forward a bit, too. That should help their lower frequencies fall off faster and prevent any cancellation you might be experiencing.

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after trying different locations, I finally gave up and bought the Behringer 1100p
I have to say, this is a nice piece of kit. After setting just two filters on the lower frequencies I noticed that other peaks further down the line disappeared magically (?)
The response isn't quite flat, but it's close... and it makes A LOT of difference.
I have to say I am very pleased with the sound coming from the sub right now. That BFD is worth every penny.

Just one thing that I noticed: I burned a test-cd with 20-100hz test tones on it. When playing the 20-24hz test tones on the SVS at -20 volume on the receiver there is a fast-rhythmic sound coming from the amp section of the SVS.

EDIT: Mailed SVS technical support, TV said the sound is coming from the protector circuit to prevent the driver from stepping out of bounds. It's normal.

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Well... everything sounds great now, but, there is still a gap. :angry:
posted the problem in a new thread.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I here you Mike. I do need help with my speaker level calibration but when it comes to bass I go with what I like and that varies with each individual movie amongst other factors. I know where calibration is supposedly for bass and only use it for a reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks