Got any tips for lending DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nick Senger, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

I want to start lending my DVDs to friends, but I'm paranoid that they'll get damaged. I've already got some extra cases to use to protect the originals, and I use DVD Profiler so I can remember who I've lent them to, but I was wondering if there were any other tips to keep in mind.

Is there a subtle way to remind a person to be careful with DVDs? I've had bad experiences lending CDs to friends and getting them back horribly scratched. I cringe when I think about that happening to my DVDs, not only because of the cost of replacing a damaged DVD, but also because of DVDs going OOP.

Thanks.

2. Juan M. Rico

Juan M. Rico Stunt Coordinator

Don't

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

What Juan said.

M.

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

As the others said, don't. I learned the hard way. Now I gotta replace alot of my DVDs, due to them being so badly damaged.

5. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Apply your CD lending experience to DVDs[​IMG]

6. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I must have some pretty good friends. I've lent out of my collection without one incident so far.
    I have a small collection by HTF standards (about 550 titles) and at one time had as many as 30 titles out to friends.

7. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

The first one I lent got scratched. It still plays, but why put yourself through that?

8. Shane_M

Shane_M Stunt Coordinator

Never again will I lend DVDs to anyone but family again. I lent out a few DVDs and the cases and DVDs came back damaged, and that's from people I thought would respect them seeing as they were avid collector's themselves.

So Nick, I'd think twice before lending any out.

9. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

I've found out the hard way. I let this freak borrow Spider-Man, and I didnt have it for 3 days, and it came back in the worst condition I've ever seen. I'd say not to lend them out.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The verdict's overwhelming here. Your friends can pay for their own discs, just like you did. And while they may be nice people, they won't treat your discs with the same care you would. Don't do it. (Why do you want to do this anyway?)

11. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Personally, I have no problem lending DVDs to friends and family that I know and trust. Part of the joy of having my collection is getting to share it with others. The only DVDs that I normally do not lend out are out of print titles and some Criterion discs. In other words, anything that would be difficult or expensive to replace I tend to guard closely. I always state up front that I expect the disc to be cared for and so far I've not had any problems. I figure the worst case scenario is some idiot scratches one of my discs so bad it won't play and then I have to get it replaced. If and when that happens I may change my tune, but right now I don't personally have a problem with it.

[​IMG]

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm surprised at how tight people are with their DVDs. Don't get me wrong- if you've had one too many negative experiences, I'd do the same thing. I guess I'm lucky, or maybe a lot of my friends care about their discs as much as I do mine.

I enjoy lending out my DVDs because I generally have unique tastes compared to my friends and I get to share it with an interested person.

(Mike D- if you're reading this, when the hell are you going to watch and return my Blue Velvet DVD?)

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

You know your friends better than we do. You know their habits and how they treat other things in their life. If they have little respect for things they own, don't believe for a second that just because it's yours that they're going to treat it any differently. It comes down to trust. If you can trust this person, borrow away. If not or you don't know the person all that well...just don't borrow to them.

Bruce

14. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I tell them all the same thing: "If you want to watch one of my DVD's, come over to my place and I'll play it for you."

This way you don't look like an ass for not letting the DVD leave your home (because some people just don't understand the mentality of an HT buff). Sometimes pride can be mistaken for snobbery.

This way, they can watch the DVD and the movie never leaves your home. This also allows them to view it in the manner it is most fitting (for those of us who have nice HT equipment)

Or (in the case of my parents), I'll bring the DVD over to their house and watch it with them. This way I am in full control of the DVD.

15. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

If a friend wants to see one of my movies, I invite them over to watch it with me. It's always better to watch with a friend.

16. Eggert

Eggert Agent

Wow, tough people here. Don't get me wrong, if you have had many bad experiences then I can see where you are coming from.

I have about 450 DVDs and I like being able to share them with my family and friends. Up until now, I have only had one DVD returned in less than good condition and that was loaned to a person in my building (neither family or friend) and he did not get other DVDs after that.

Best regards,
    Eggert

17. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I will not let anyone borrow my dvd's anymore. After a few bad problems of trying to get dvd's back, Ive come to the conclusion im not blockbuster or hollywood video. Let other buy them just like i did instead of leaching

capt

18. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Add me to the list of not lending DVDs to anyone. I loaned several to an installer for a HT company when they first came out. I had to go to his house to get them back. That did it.

DVDs, CDs, Books. They just don't lend well. That's what Blockbuster is for.

Deane

19. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I'd say there's hardly any reason to be "subtle" about it. Make sure the person understands your terms, what they should and should not do, what you will not tolerate.

Or - do as numerous HTFers suggest:

Don't.

20. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit