got any advice for moving and packing your HT (with the rest of your home)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

In May I will be moving back to Texas from KY. I own a full around set of Diva Speakers,and I honestly am not too worried about them, because I kept the boxes to them, but my Toshiba 50HX81 Projection widescreen HDTV is what I am worried about!!!
    It weight almost 200lbs and has coaster wheels on the bottom, but I am honestly wondering if I should even put it on the U-Hal truck with all the bouncing and shifting that goes on during travel! It is a given that I'll probably have to realign the cannons, but I am scared about doing damage. How should I package it? Should I buy LOTs of bubble wrap or use lots of blankets? Where in the truck should it go?I was just wondering about how you would do things if you were in my position? It will not happen until May 2003, but I am trying to think about it now.
    Thank you for all your help!
    side note: It is sad when you are spell checking your post and you read "LOTs" and your immediate thought is, "LOrd Of The Rings....no wait...nevermind". Ah waht a wonderful drug this Home Theater stuff is...even though I should probably stop doing so much of it [​IMG]

2. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Grady,
    I just moved from CA to CO with my Tosh 65" WS RPTV. The movers wrapped it in a whole lotta blankets and still managed to break one of the casters off as well as cracking the screen bezel. Electronically, it seems to have survived the trip OK...though I am having a problem with convergence drift...it won't keep aligned for more than a day [​IMG]
    My advise? Sell the big-a$$ TV and buy a projector [​IMG]
    Sean

3. Grady Hollums

Oh Come on Sean!!! That is not what I want to hear!...(*whine whine*)
    Besides my wife and I have put a stop on all HT equipment especially after buying the total Diva speaker sound set up!
    If I could just get a good screen and projector that the bulb would last for so long that I could watch TV and other such, then I might consider it, but it is going to be a llloooonnnngggggg time until I pay off the credit cards to be able to buy a projector...much less the HD satellite receiver and dish I would like to buy to actually take full advantage of my HD set.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it is just not an option.
    I think that I will be doing my own packing, so hopefully I can really try to make sure that it is well packed and taken care of.
    BTW: Did the movers pay for the damage done to the set? That would be very important for me to know. Thanks for your help!!! [​IMG]

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hey maybe you can get your wife to sit in the back with the tv and make sure no damage comes to it.

No....... well um got any kids?

but seriously your best option is to see if you can get the tv shipped professionally by somoene who will offer insurance, if it gives you problems after the move have them pay to fix it, but if you have to take it in the U-haul there are some options on how to minimize problems.

your biggest difficulty that i can see is the vibrations from the tv traveling such a distance. i suppose its too much to calculate the optimal speed to drive at in the U-Haul... so I would try to pack it up as well as you can and hope for the best. but if you can find a way to hang a spring and weight from the bottom of the tv that would provide some damping and could help the move a bit.

try at all costs to avoid potholes on the tip and good luck.

5. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

They have yet to pay for it...the claims process is horrifically long...they said they would call me within three weeks(!) to process my claim. Meanwhile, I have a broken bezel. I won't even go into how they ripped off all my CDs and DVDs (yes, cry for me, about $10K in software lost). Needless to say, DO NOT USE: White Glove Moving and Storage.

Good Luck Grady. I wish you the best.

Regards,

Sean

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sean, seriously, the movers stole your DVDs and CDs? Skip the claims process. Hire an attorney. JB

7. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Quite serious. They took the serial number off my box and placed it on anothers box with a bunch of pillows in it. Didn't notice until they had left. Such an obvious theft...I called the cops and they said it wasn't criminal becuse I willfully gave them the CDs and such. LOL! I think he didn't understand the situation. I am calling a lawyer today. No amount of money can replace the collection I have been working on for nearly half my life.

Sean

8. Grady Hollums

Sean! I am so sorry about that happening to you. I hope that maybe some good can come from it. Maybe you can now go out and buy the special editions of the DVDs that you only had the bare bones edition of. heh.

John,
    Thanks for the advice. I plan on packing the TV (top, bottom, sides, and front/back), But I really wonder like where or how I should pack it. For example, should I place it over the axle of the truck (less vibrations?)? And should I use blankets or bubble wrap? Should I leave the TV standing upright or lay it on its back or side? (I think that standing upright would be best, but honestly I don't know what would be best)

Thanks for all of your help!

9. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I agree definitely stand it up. Well without some research in my vibrtations text i cant tell yuo what placement in the truch will result in the least vibrations. personally i would use MANY blankets over bubble wrap, once those bubbles pop whats gonna stop it?

hmmm if there are hooks on the inside of the truck you might want to try using some bungee cords to stabilize it, they will have enough stretch to allow some movement, but if you get the length right they will gently keep it from sliding around.

off hand i dont believe placement in the truck will matter all that much, the vertical vibration will have a greater effect directly over the axles, however the further from the axles the greater the bending moment that will hit your TV (causing it to tip) so if you can get some bungee cords to prevent the tipping then id say away form the axles would be best. Again im not familiar with the build of RPTV’s but if thee is anywhere you can hang a spring and weight (perhaps with a small tube or something around ti so the weight wont hit the TV itself) then this will help A LOT with the vibrations. If you find such a place let me knwo and i will see if i can dig up some calculations based on the weight of your tv to determine the size weight you would want.

Barring that my other suggestions are to make sure you put somehting underneath the tv, this is actually the most critical. And although you have likely thought of it already make sure either nothign is touching or can touch the tv, or that everthing is tightly packed so that you don’t ahve to deal with impact. Just so you know when building structures and such you may only need a 1" diameter rod to hold a 100 pound weight, but that same rod would only be able to take 10 pounds if ti was dropped froma foot or so (this is not an exact calculation, just trying to illustrate the point that impact damage is very easy to occur.)

Hope this helps.

10. alex l-r

alex l-r Auditioning

Perhaps you could suspend it? That might minimize vibrations...don't know how practical or possible that is though?

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

i thought of that alex, its very impracical, i mean sure given 2000 dollars and a month to work on it im sure i could rig up somethign to do that, but hey for less you could hire a sherpa fly him in and ahve him carry it on his back to the new house.

Personally i think the sherpa would be a whole lot cooler

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

13. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Thanks Lew. I actually have insurance on all my gear, so I imagine I will get the money for all this stuff...but that's not the point...I don't want to replace $10K in cds and dvds...I want the ones I've been collecting...so many OOP items and one of a kinds in there...not to mention home movies of family members that are now gone. I can't replace any of that [​IMG]
    Anyway, I try and spin positive on situations like this, so I say now I can start over with my CD and DVD collection and can replace my most loved discs and try new stuff with the leftover $$.
    Thanks again.
    Sean

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Lew, out of curiosity: Why did you have a 36-inch Toshiba in storage for such a long time? (If you don't mind my asking.) Also, what was wrong with its performance after you put the thing back in play? Never had a situation like that before. I always hear it's bad to leave a piece of electronic gear in storage for too long--which has me nervous, as I have had an iMac with a faulty hard drive sitting inert for about three months. A company I do freelance writing for has de facto given me another iMac for use at home--but, of course, I want to put my own computer back in action.

Sorry for derailing the thread here, but you guys are saying some interesting things.

And if I move any time soon, I will transport the delicate equipment separately. Talk about horror stories--the ones in this thread can make you lose a little sleep.