What's new

Got another LD player - am I crazy???? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Phil, I have about 30 DiscoVision discs. My fav of the lot is the episode of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA where Lloyd Bridges shows up with the Battlestar Pegisus. Only that double length episode and the opening episode were issued. The X9 plays the Pegisus episode fairly well. One side is pretty glitch-free. The other has a few spots and some occasional audio noise. Some of my DiscoVision discs are scuffed up and I mean scuffed up! The ones that are not all play real well on the X9. Some of them look pretty credible. A couple of the Disney cartoons from '78 and '79 look pretty good but the colour is somewhat muted. This is on the X9.
Atleast one of these discs gives no signal on most LD players. Actually that disc, One Night Stand: A Keyboard Event, is a 1981 post DiscoVision disc. It looks B & W but the X9 plays it. The colour is about 80% gone but it plays. Alan H. said the LD-S2 will read rotted discs too. Corbin told me that the Runco player beats rot also... Next to those players, the old toploaders would play these discs best. The really old players, all the toploaders and maybe a few succeeding models have a shorter wavelength laser diode than the CLD's did later. Those old players get a better read than most on these rough old discs, anyway.
Maybe I can get a real cheesey TV cart to compliment the ensemble? :) Best wishes!

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Well, I have only 2 players right now after sending back my LD-S9. So right now I have a HLD-X9 and one CLD-95 (in repair shop now). But I have 2 players in hong kong waiting for me, one more HLD-X9 and a HLD-X0. I would love to have one LD-S9 that don't have the smearing problem and if I can get one (or two) I will buy it.
And if I find the X0 to be as good as many says I will probably get me another.
So maybe my set-up will be 2 HLD-X9, 2 HLD-X0, 1 CLD-95, 1 DVL-919 (for PAL LD's) and 1-2 LD-S9. :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well...the picture isn't better (most of the time), but IMO the sound is better. I've discovered that I'd take a good PCM track over it's DD componant on DVD most of the time...but the DD tracks on LDs are fantastic too. Also, for me at least...I just love the fact that the LD cases are nice and big, with big artwork...I love getting a new one in the mail, and just holding it and looking at it, it feels like I really got something with my purchase.
There's also the nostalgia factor too...I dunno, but I'm just addicted. In the last month I've bought roughly 15 LDs, while my DVD buying has ceased completely :)

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought my 1st...CLD-D703.....gonna have a tekkie friend do the AC-3 mod for me......purchased 200 discs to go with it......man I'm enjoying this retro thing....now if I can only find a VIC-20 and a rubic's cube:)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I recently bought my first LD player. My daughter is now bragging to her friends that not only do we have several DVD players and no VCRs; we now have "record movies!" It's a wonderful new format that none of her friends have!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks