What's new

Got a Toshiba, but geometry is messed up (1 Viewer)

NickSchmidt

Agent
I just bought a 27" Toshiba flat screen (model #27AF41) and it's an awesome TV except....

... The geometry on the top left and right of the screen is messed up. Any vertical line has somewhat of a squiggle to it because it messes them up. Is there anything I can do without taking it back? I don't want to have to do that because I know I'll just get another one like it (since it is a very common problem). Any help would be very appreciated.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Nick...u should try the Toshiba section at Home Theater Spot. Lots of guys with Tosh sets that could help u.

But from what ur telling us, I believe a good convergence adjustment can solve ur geometry problems. I cannot help u get tothe service menu or anything like that as I have do not know the codes for the Tosh direct sets...frankly..I'm not even sure if u got convergence grids on direct views.

JeffP

Auditioning
I've got that same set and I noticed a similar problem. I don;t think there are any convergence grids built in to the set, so I use the THX setup from Fight Club, it has a pattern with boxes on it that I found to work OK. I adjusted it from teh service menu, and here's what I did...but be sure to write down the initial values for all the setttings and enter the menu at your own risk.

Press mute on the remote, then press and hold mute... while holind it down, press MENU on the TV... a 'S' will appear on the screen, then let go of the mute button and press menu on the TV again...and you are in the service mode. use Ch up/down to cycle through the menu, and vol up/dn to change values.

The basic one I changed for the corners was the DGC(i think). Some other ones I tweaked were ,TRAP, CNR, LIN, and I tweaked the HIT and WID to fit the screen better. ALso you can do the squeeze trick in here too....

Adjust HIT and DGC when a movie is in 16x9 mode and anamorphic... the picture is amazing. But mark the edges with what it should be to find the proper height.

I find getting info about a direct view TV tough on these home theater boards. Most people have the RPTV's and therefore don't know about the issues with us guys and our smaller TV's.

Hope this helps.

NickSchmidt

Agent
Thanks man, I'll try that out. Hopefully I wont royally screw up the TV. Let's just say I accidentally mess it up. Could I return it or will they somehow know I went into the service menu?

JeffP

Auditioning
Honestly I am not sure if they can tell... Just set everything back to the default values (you did write them down right?) and see how it looks. Then try adjusting it again.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Direct view sets don't have convergence systems like projection set do, so there are no overlays for this type of TV. Hopefully you'll be able to make it tolerable, at least, by adjusting some of those service menu parameters. I recommend writing down ALL values first though, in case you inadvertently change something you didn't intend to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks