Got a Sony 60 wega, need to updatte home theater. Please help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by mikeEM, Feb 3, 2006.

1. mikeEM

mikeEM Auditioning

I recently purchased a Sony Wega 60 inch projection TV( KDf-E60A20. I have Motorola digital cable box from cable company with HD channels. MY home theater is the issue. It is about 4-5 years old. Samsung HTDB-600 HTIB. Got it from best buy years ago . It is decent. 5 disc changer 5.1 surrond sound. My question is should I get a new system. I know there is HD DVD and Blu ray around the corner, but I am curious if my home theater is already out dated.SHould I look into an up converting DVD player? Reveiver with HDMI?

UNfortunatly I have more $$ than sense. I do not want to do alot of research. Shopping for Hom etheater is not a hobby of mine. I just want a nice system to work well with my new TV. If my system is fine for now and I should wait then cool.If I need to upgrade the I am fine with it.

Main issue is I dont want to inc=vest a ton of $$ into equpment that will be no longer used in a few months. Should I wait or go shopping?

2. mikeEM

mikeEM Auditioning

I also have the Sony RM AX4000 touch scren remote to control any component as well as x10 lighting. I dont think a sony system is the way to go althought the sony rep would give me the 400 disc DVD home theater system for 566 ( HT-9950M) and tha is a good deal. 1000 watts, HDMI , progressive scan upconverting.

Would it be wasteful to get that system. Do you think it would be outdated soon?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mike, welcome to Home Theater Forum.

You seem to have joined this site as a one-shot effort -- that is, after you get your recommendations, you'll be offline from here while enjoying a new system. But that's OK. We can help.

Your thread has been moved to where HTiBs are discussed, since you are asking for purchasing advice -- and admitting that you don't like to "research" for this information. Well, sir, sometimes you have to. You need to take an interest in all this, in my view (especially if you're going to spend a lot of money).

I would advise, at least, that you bump up from an HTiB and instead look at an A/V receiver and decent speakers. But I will let the members make their recommendations.

(Also, the Basics area is for general discussion of home theater with beginners -- it is not intended for seeking advice on what specifically to purchase. Hence to move to this area.)

4. mikeEM

mikeEM Auditioning

I think you mistook my comments. I have been looking on this site and others " researching" but in all honesty there are so many choices and emerging technolagies that for me to research to fully understand would take me months or years. By then I would be buying something else. I came here because it seemss most on hee have taken the time and do enjoy researching and discussing home theater.

Any suggestions are welcome. I just want the best viewing experiance without buying something that will be replaced in a month.

5. mikeEM

mikeEM Auditioning

I think I see the error in my ways. A HTIB is not the way to go. I used to have a toshiba 36 inch tv ( $500 years ago) and got Samsung HTIB ( $350 at some time of tv purchase). I upgraded 2 months ago to Sony 60 Wega. at the time based on limited experiance I thought HTIB was suficent and would be fine with TV.

After reading these forums I see that a HTIB is a cheap alternative for me and wouldnt do my new purchase any justice. I guess i was looking at HTIB for convience plus I didnt know better

that being said the best way for me to go is obviously a component system. I have read many good things about Marantz receivers as well as denon and HK. Are there many choices for receivers with HDMI? Or is just needed on DVD player? I would like to get a nice system, but due to new formats on horizon, I would like to make sure whatever I purchase will be able to be used with new players coming out.

It is silly to have a 3K TV and a $500 HTIB. I am learning. I want to start with reciever and speakers

6. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

What kind of budget have you set for yourself? How large or small would you like your speakers to be? Do you want 5.1? 6.1? 7.1? Do you have space or configuration restraints in your HT room? How large a room are we looking at? These are all factors that will determine your options, and will also help us to give you the "sound" advice you need. (pardon the pun)

I will echo what Jack has said. I don't believe that a HTIB is adequate. The quality of your sound system should be comparable somewhat to the quality of your display. There are many reasonably priced receivers on the market, as well as countless speaker options that won't leave you broke, and will be much more satisfying in the long run.

7. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

Whoops! You posted again seconds before I posted mine....

Well, there are more receiver models coming out with HDMI switching available. For example, the Pioneer 1016. It is very attractively priced, has all the features you will need, and then some. It will be out in the spring, I believe.

As far as speakers go, I personally am a fan of Athena speakers. Great price/performance ratio.

8. mikeEM

mikeEM Auditioning

Budget isn't main issue. I firmly believe "you get what you pay for" so for quality I know I will have to pay. The room is 18 x 24 . about 12-14 feet away from TV. Currently have 5.1, i have read about 7.1 but most DVD's aren't formated in it yet. 7.1 does seem appealing though since I am sure dvds will soon be formated to 7.1

I think you answered part of my question. Saying good receiver coming out in spring. I think there are so many new things on horizon I am not sure if this is best time To buy. However I am impatient

9. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Wait a little and get a HDMI 1.3-capable reciever when they come out. That way, you'll be able to get the new audio formats on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, if and when you decide to upgrade, plus SACD and DVD-A audio, if you decide to buy a player which also supports those, all over a one-wire digital connexion. You don't really need 7.1, though, since movies are mostly 5.1; you might buy a 7.1 reciever and set it up to run with 5.1 speakers.
    Personally I run 4.1 with phantom center, but that has to do with my oewn preferences and setup.

10. mikeEM

mikeEM Auditioning

I do like the Oppo 971. Looks like good reviews