Got a New Wega ... Clarification of Uneven Brightness Request

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinO, Jun 25, 2001.

1. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, I took delivery of a new 36FS13 this weekend. I've noticed that there is a narrow vertical band on the right side of the screen that is brighter than the rest of the picture. You can really only see this difference when the screen is almost totally black. Is this the "uneven brightness" problem I have read about? Is there a way to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

2. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Kevin - What you describe sounds very much like the now classic Wega un-even brightness. I've had my 36-FV26 for about six months and I have un-even brightness as well. One suggested fix is to go into the service menu and adjust SBRT down to 5 or 6. However, if your SBRT is already at 5 or 6 (like mine was) this change will not fix the problem.
    Apparently, there is a problem with one of the internal parts (coil I think) and it would need to be replaced by Sony service. Since my un-even brightness is only visible during the darkest scenes I elected to live with it rather then have my set sitting in a Sony service center for a month waiting to get fixed. It really depends upon how bad your un-even brightness is and how much you are willing to live with. Other then the un-even brightness my set has been perfect and considering all the other problems that can be associated with Wegas I count myself lucky.

3. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Rob! I also only notice the problem in the darkest scenes. I may go into the service menu and check the setting you suggested. If the problem is due to a defective coil, it may be interesting to note that Sony still hasn't fixed this problem with the 2001 models.

4. Chris Kayser

Chris Kayser Extra

I had a Wega from 3 model years ago and it had this problem. I just can't believe they keep cranking out these sets with the same problems again and again.
    I had it fixed since I had in home service. The repair took only a few minutes and more or less fixed it.
    Chris