Got a new job, contemplating what to get =)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Ok, right now I have a JVC 27", toshiba sd-1200, and the Kenwood htb-503. I've recently scored a better paying job and I want to soup up the basement with a better home theater for hanging out with buds and watching movies/playing videogames. I'm looking for the best value with decent quality. Here are some good buys from what I've gathered on this forum:
    TV: Looking for an HD-ready set no more than $2000. Would be nice to go higher than 40" diag but I've been hearing great things about this set...
    -http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/40H80.html Thanks!
    btw- I don't know if this will help at all but I play a good amount of videogames. One of the reasons I want to go HD is because the Gamecube will support 480p on all of its games & GT3 supports 16:9.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

bumpa

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    In today's incredibly rocky job market, I sure wouldn't blow a wad of cash on a huge HT until I'm REALLY comfy knowin' my job is secure. [​IMG]
    Good luck in your quest, looks like your'e on the right track!
    Alfer
    ------------------
    Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at The Enormodome
    Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Club Enormodome

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I'll throw in my $.02 on this.
    TV: The Toshiba is a nice TV but I'd recommend also looking at the new Panasonic PT-47WX49 and the Mitsubishi WS-46807. If it was my choice, I'd get the bigger set for the same money.
    DVD Player: Probably the best buy going right now for a progressive scan player is the Panasonic RP-91. No chroma bug and plays DVD Audio also.
    Receiver: Anything from Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz. I haven't really looked at receivers since I bought my Denon 4800 [​IMG].
    Speakers: I haven't personally heard the Encore system, but it's supposed to be nice. For another option, you can get 4 NHT SuperOnes (2 @ $229/pr), an NHT SuperCenter ($199) and an NHT SuperSub ($269) for a total of $926 + shipping at Yawa Audio . This system is pretty hard to beat for the price.

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    first off, let me direct you to my post from about a 3 wks ago. i was about to get the NHT superones and an NHT sub but posted first to make sure it was a good deal. check it out .
    about the sub: get a powered Hsu VTF-2 instead. it can be had for $425 from http://www.jeffssoundvalues.com/ ; email [email protected] for details. the Hsu is on another level than the NHT.
    speakerwise: the superones have already been discontinued. i have heard nothing but great stuff about Energy speakers. however, i would check out Ascend Acoustics ' speaker packages. they will slap the NHTs around any day, plus they come with the powered VTF-2 i mentioned above.
    receiver: can't go wrong with the Onkyo 696. Matt C (from HTF) recently bought one for $540 +shipping. here's the link to that page (it's about halfway down).
    hope this is of use
    [Edited last by Thomas_Berg on July 25, 2001 at 08:16 PM]

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Thanks for the advice guys!
    Thomas, I think you're first link to your old post is messed up. Could you direct me to the correct thread? I really wanna see what people think about NHT and AA.
    Thanks again!

7. Roger Metcalf

Roger Metcalf Auditioning

Personally, I think NHT's are the way to go-- but I don't know much about their smaller speakers. I run NHT 2.1's and 2.3 towers in my setup (2.3's in front, 2.1's in rear) with a SuperCenter as the center (Same tweeter as all theses) and a Snell THXSub550 sub...
    I think you can put together an incredible speaker setup if you spend your money right...
    If I were in the subwoofer market right now, I think it would be very difficult not to look at the SVS subs-- even if you got the smallest powered one, I think you would not regret it-- I'm not sure as to the price on those, but I don't think the smallest one is too far off from the HSU sub above--
    I personally don't care that much for bookshelf type speakers and would look at towers- especially for the fronts...that site has NHT SuperTwo's for $479 a pair, which is a great deal, they have a SuperCenter for $200 also-- taking you to $679-- now, I would personally reccomend going with another set of SuperTwo's for the rear, which would take you right next to $1100, but with no sub--
    I really think though, with this setup, you would be extremely satisfied with the bass until you could save up a little extra for a really good subwoofer to compliment them. These speakers go down low and loud enough (especially with 4 of them at full range (I think the full range difference in the rear is quite overlooked) run through say that Onkyo you are looking at would sound incredible...
    Then, when you can save up a little dough, look at picking up one of those SVS Subs-- I think they match the NHT's nicely, and you'll be happy that you didn't go with smaller speakers all around once you've had the Super2's going for a while...My roommate has a pair hooked to a Pioneer EliteTHX receiver, and I am consistently impressed by their bass output-- I really think you will get a much better HT experience with these than with smaller bookshelves--
    Think about it though, it would be quite damned cool to go down to your basement with big glossy black towers all around-- I can assure you, plus having the same drivers all around is great for sonic uniformity, and the Supercenter is suprisingly good for it's price I think.
    Consider it,
    Roger
    (NHT LOVER since 1993)
    ------------------

8. GregE

GregE Agent

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Man, thanks for the help guys!! [​IMG] I did a little searching and found out there are many NHT loyalists, like the diehard fans of Klipsch. Crutchfield has a great deal on the SuperTwo's:
    $499.99 + $13.95 s/h
    (but since I live in VA the total comes out to $536 with slaes tax [​IMG])
    Since they are discontinued and seem to be going fast, I'll purchase them tommorrow online. I've always wanted tower speakers and NHT's for $500 ain't bad at all! I just hope I can scrounge up $200 before the SuperCenter goes.
    Scott
    Soon to be NHT lover?

10. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
  11. Robert C Wall

I have the Encore, and it is superb - as well as an Onkyo. I had a friend over who was listening to a CD on the system and just looked up and said "If I had this system, I would just sit here and listen to music for the rest of my life." That said, I got the system because it is good for music - I use it for music probably 80%. I listened to a lot, and I am a professional musician, so I have strong opinions about the way certain frequecies come across. There may be other speakers out there for cheaper that are better suited for movies and video games.

12. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

Dunno if it is too late-but for speakers I'd recommend the Norh Ceramic 4.0 package for $850 from http://www.norh.com . For sub you can go for $400+ AdireRava or Hsu VTF-2.
    Cheers,
    Kishore