Got a flea collar for my dog... Are there any side effects?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ricardo C, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

My dog has been suffering from a tick invasion for the past couple months. My cousin, also a dog owner, sent me a collar for him to wear, telling me it's supposed to work wonders in terms of repelling ticks. So, I bathed him and put the collar on.

So far, I've noticed that whatever ticks he had left on his body seem to be "jumping ship", so to speak, in that I've found a few just clinging to his hair, rather than biting him. However, he's been kinda lethargic all day. He's still playful, and still reacts to the usual stimuli (for example, he'll try to bite any strangers that touch me, even if it's just a handshake), but he seems very tired. Could the collar be somehow responsible for this? Should I take it off?

2. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

the best thing that i've found for fleas has been the prescription stuff that the vet puts on the back of the dog's neck.
    if you've (your dog, i mean) got ticks, a trip to the vet would not be out of order.

3. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I would agree with a topical application, something like Frontline Plus works very well. 1 application per month. It's very effective but not inexpensive. I pay $60 OR $65 for 7 monthly applications through my Vet.

4. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I second Frontline - excellent product.

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll definitely be making an appointment with the vet tomorrow.

But I am still concerned about the collar. It's called Kawu Protect (manufactured by Calier), and according to the box, it contains:

"Diazinon 6g
    Excipient q.s"

It says "Greyhounds and Whippets are especially sensitive to colinesterase inhibitors". My dog is a mutt with no relation whatsoever to the aforementioned breeds, but could the collar's makeup be the reason he's acting so tired? He doesn't seem ill at all (like I said, he's as playful as ever), but he does seem to be in a lazy mood.

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I've seen dogs get skin rashes and lose their hair in the area near a flea collar. Keep an eye on it.