got a favorite bread machine recipe?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've seen threads on italian food and different breads, one on chinese food, and debates on which foods are asian and chinese and that no food is asian because asia is too large. But I haven't seen any threads on bread machine recipes. Anyone have a favorite? I don't have one to share, I'm just here to harvest [​IMG]

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

While not an actual recipe, when I make bread I usually buy the normal white or italian. Add about a tsp of garlic powder, a tbsp of italian seasonings, and a pinch of onion salt. It works great.

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Ooooh. Great idea for a thread.
    I haven't used my bread machine in months. When I did use it, I have always used the "bread machine mix for dummies" where all I had to do is add water.

4. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

My sister gave me a bread machine last Xmas and I finally worked up the courage to use it last week. Wow, this thing is awesome!

I made a heavy 3-cheese bread and a 2 lb. cinammon-raisin loaf Xmas Eve.

I'm a believer now. [​IMG]

5. wally

wally Second Unit

Mmmmmmm.... Fresh Bread.

Those machines are very cool. Ours is so loud during the kneading phase though it’s kind of a buzz kill for hot bread in the A.M.

6. Nathan_R

wally, what do you have? (This will probably be one of the only non-HT-related model number conversation here) [​IMG]

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I bought another one last weekend. I had a panasonic that I bought back in the 80's when the things were super expensive (used, it was a demo model I got for something like 10 bucks) but it was old and kind of a tank so I threw it away when I moved, now I regret it, anyway I picked up a toastmaster at walmart for 30 bucks last weekend. It works, not as well as the old panasonic though.

8. wally

wally Second Unit

I don't remember the model or make. I do remember that it made very yummy bread (smell and taste [​IMG]) and was very noisy.

It got more and more noisy till it died. We have not replaced it. Nothin beat the bread right "out of the oven" with a stick of butter and a big bowl of hot tomato soup.

9. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

I've tried probably 1/3 of the recipes in this book and haven't yet found one I didn't like. Be sure to use bread flour and bread machine yeast.

10. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Thanks Dave for the heads up. Going for a low as $1-$2 used. Wonder if I can find this locally?
    I want to know about this "Cheese Bread" do you actually cook the bread with the cheese in the loaf? Yum.
    Anyone with an easy starter recipe for a cheesy bread?

11. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I picked up a Zojirushi BBCC-V20 bread machine for my wife and got some King Arthur bread machine mixes. YUMMY!!!! Best bread I've had in a very long time.

King Arthur Flour recipes

12. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

I had just got my bread machine and hadn't used it yet. I spent the night at my sister's apt. and set it up to have the bread ready when I woke up. The damn thing came on in the middle of the night and made a horrible racket that went on a long time, stopping and starting back up several times. I could hardly sleep at all. I got up in the morning , got my bread, went to work and shared it with my co-workers.

When my sister woke up, the whole house smelled of fresh baked bread, but no bread. She wasn't a happy camper after being kept awake half the night.

Oh yeah, the next time I used the machine, I discovered that you must "snap in" the inside bread bucket to lock it in place and keep the bucket from moving instead of just the stirring paddle! It was a lot quieter after that.

13. Nathan_R

Brian--
    I love the three cheese bread. The cottage cheese keeps it moist. Here's the recipe for a 1 lb loaf. Double everything for a 2 lb or add half again for a 1.5 lb loaf

3 Cheese Bread:

3/4 c milk
    1 c cottage cheese
    1/4 c shredded sharp cheddar
    1/4 c Pecorino Romano
    2 c flour (bread or all purpose)
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 seasoned salt
    2 t sugar
    1 t butter
    2-3 t yeast.

Just add everything in order of your bread machine's instructions -- liquid, solids, flour, then yeast. Don't forget that everything should be at room temperature (except for the cottage cheese).

[​IMG]
    Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

that's more like it! less jibba-jabba! more recipe! [​IMG]
    here's a question for you, I live at 6200MSL, my bread doesn't rise quite as it would at 500msl. But there's never a high altitude adjustment. I usually just add more yeast, any other ideas?

15. Nathan_R

Out of my league, but I'll give it a shot. The yeast addition seems like the best solution, but what kind of flour are you using-- actual bread flour or all-purpose?

I'm going to make Rum-soaked currant bread this afternoon. I'll tell you how it goes.
    [​IMG]

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

bread flour, regular flour usually doesn't work so well

17. Nathan_R

Yesterday's recipe:

Rum-soaked currant bread (1 lb loaf; quite dense)

1 c dried currants soaked overnight in Captain Morgans Spiced Rum (just enough rum to cover the currants); then drained
    3 T of the drained rum (I just poured all of it into the mix) [​IMG]
    2 t butter
    2 c flour
    1 cup water (room tempature)
    2 T sugar
    1 t salt
    1/8 t ground ginger
    3 t yeast

Add ingredients in order that your bread machine specifies (yeast at the end). Set on sweet cycle and add currants at indicator beep.

Yummy.
    [​IMG]
    ~~Nathan

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

damnit. well after a few months of too much fun, looks like I'm going back on the atkins next week. SO much for bread machine recipes :angry: