Got a FAV electrical FAQ? Add here...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottFauque, Dec 6, 2001.

1. ScottFauque

ScottFauque Agent

Mainly I wanted to provide a couple favorite links and hope others will too.
    1) Homewiring with good diagrams
    2) Electrical Wiring FAQ
    3) Wiring gauge chart
    If in doubt, hire it out. For example in my PMTs case, I asked an electrican to come estimate putting in a subpanel and rerouting a few wires the builder put in. He clued me that I had shared neutrals coming in to my PMT (HT) room so I had to change my planning. After talking he provided my options and even thought (based on our hour discussion about what I knew/researched and work on aready for the PMT) that I could do it all myself...and call if I had questions.
    -------------------
    I'm learning electrical myself and am a pretty cautious person...
    a) I use electrical tape to make sure wire nuts don't slip off when pushed around in a box
    b) I put a wrap or two around outlets and switches after I put the wires on so that nothing is accidently touched now or when I/someone takes it out the next time
    c) Did I mention I turn off the darn breakers first...I have forgotten!
    d) I always use a circut tester to make sure I have everything wired correctly and my ground is good. Hey, sometimes those previous owners or electricans use many colored wires or got creative.
    e) I always have handy a voltage indicator aka circuit alert tester to double check my power is off or which wire is hot for sure.
    f) I utilize a circuit breaker finder to make it easier to locate which breaker to turn off. Hey the electrician don't always list every room. Tip: get screw in light socket to outlet ($0.69) for testing light sockets.
    g) I'm putting Arc Fault (AFCIs) Breakers in my PMT subpanel and secondary surge arresters
    h) Get a auto-everything digital multimeter to test current/voltage levels or as a substitute for some testers above. Hey, let your kid use it to test those batteries in your drawer and put a piece of tape on each of them with the voltages. Toss bad ones. OK, slightly off topic...
    Hope some of this may be helpful. Others please add your favorite electrical links.

2. ScottFauque

ScottFauque Agent