Got a Denon AVR-2802 yesterday, I have a few questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Cal, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Brian Cal

Brian Cal Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to an inventory screw up, I picked up this beauty of a unit for $375.00 yesterday.

As most 2802 owners will probably confirm, setup is a bit tricky, and the manual is an absolute nightmare. I have a few initial questions I was hoping someone could help me with (I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along!)

1) Is there a way to toggle the surround back speaker on and off without having to use the On Screen Display? I prefer to listen to 5.1 in 5.1, and only turn on the back speaker for 6.1 material. I suppose it's not a big deal, but I didn't want to have to waste a video input on my TV just for this simple task.

2) After owning a Pioneer VSX-D811S and returning it, I have laboriously set up my room with two surround back speakers to play in mono. The 2802 has only one surround back input. Is there any way I can still take advantage of both of my back speakers without adding a separate amp?

3) All of the specs I have read on the 2802 is that it will NOT do Dolby Digital EX, but that it will support Dolby Matrix 6.1. Isn't that all Dolby EX is? A surround back channel matrixed from the monaural information in the left and right surround channels?

Thanks to everyone for any help/advice. I didn't have much time to play last night, but from what heard briefly, this is a great unit.

2. Brian Cal

OK, I figured out number 1. Any ideas on 2 and 3? Particularly 2? Any Denon owners out there? Anyone?

3. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

for the back speaker for the 6.1 well u want to do 7.1 you could probably just series or parallel the speakers together. In 6.1 or 7.1 the speakers get the same sound anyhow so it wouldnt make a difference. Just make sure you dont get too low of an ohm load.

4. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

it will do matrixed and discrete. If i remember they didnt get the rights in time or something for dd ex so when it does do dd ex it will say 6.1.

5. Brian Cal

Thanks Oachalon. If I wire the two 8 ohm back speakers in series I believe there will be a 16 ohm load, which I'm assuming will be okay on the amp?

If I'm to understand your second post correctly, the receiver does allow for Dolby EX, but just doesn't state it as such because they didn't have the rights?

6. Rich Chiavaroli

Rich Chiavaroli Stunt Coordinator

Yes, wire them in series. The 1803 has 2 sets of speaker posts for the 6th and 7th speakers, but it doesn't amp them speprately. In the case of the 1803, the receiver handles the wiring in series for you.

A 16ohm load just means that the amp has to work less (and there will be less output).

7. Nate Haley

Nate Haley Agent

I use the center channel amp of my 2802 to power two 8 ohm speakers in parallel (4 ohm load). Have had no problems so far, so you should be alright wiring your back surround speakers in parallel, and you will also get more output from them than the series connection.

8. Tariq

Tariq Auditioning