What's new

got a denon 4802!!! (1 Viewer)

chaz fifer

Agent
Just got one.I pan to test it out over the weekend, and i'll let you know my first impressions.
------------------
"I'm trying to contain an outbreak and you're driving the monkey to the airport!"

Mark F Hall

Agent
I purchased one also! It is awesome. Will really check out over the weekend also.
Mark
------------------

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
i'm curious as to what you'll have to say. i'm also considering this as an upgrade. i'll be anxiously waiting!
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Now this is going to be a fun thread, hurry up you guys, let us know what you think!
tongue.gif

------------------
Bruce
www.dvdtracker.com/~bruceabar.asp
http://bruceabar.tripod.com/theabarshometheater/

Mark F Hall

Agent
After putting this unit through a full weekend of movies, I have to say it is fantastic and worth every penny. For Home Theater it is awesome the DTS-ES Discrete blew my mind (It replaced an Onkyo 787 with Matrixed ES/EX 7.1) Gladiator rocked the house. During the sword throwing scene the very directional sound came from the rear center and ended in the front center. Se7en is also very impressive in Discrete ES. It is has a very enveloping surround track and the rear center is used to wrap you completely in the feeling of the film. Terminator2:UE is matrixed ES it sounds great but not as impressive as the other 2.
As impressive as the Video portion is the audio is even more impressive. In Pure audio mode the Denon shuts down all the video processing circuits to prevent any possible interference from those circuits. It even shuts off the graphic display on front of the receiver. Music takes on a natural warm sound that the Onkyo can't really touch at least to my ears. The switchable crossover for the sub really allows you to match the sub to your main speakers.
The Remote takes a little getting use to. My only complaint is you have to go through the setup menu to turn THXex/ES Matrix on and off for movies in DDex and DTS-ES Matrix that aren't flagged. I was able to program a couple of macros to do it with one button.
This unit is extremely impressive.
Mark F. Hall
Denon AVR-4802
Polk RT1000i -Mains
Eosone RSC 300 -Center
Polk RT 800i - Surround & Back
Polk PSW 350
[Edited last by Mark F Hall on September 11, 2001 at 04:40 PM]

chaz fifer

Agent
After the weekend to put the receiver through its paces, it completely exceeded my expectations! I've owned a 5800 and a 3801, so i could make an educated comparison.I think the 4802 gives the 5800 a run for its money.I am very hard pressed to find any discernable sonic differences between the two.thx applied to dts-es really enhances the sound (in my opinion).I chose to buy the 4802 over the 5800 this time around, and im glad i did!
------------------
"I'm trying to contain an outbreak and you're driving the monkey to the airport!"

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I might have missed an earlier post but does anyone know what the B+M as well as online pricing is for the 3802 and 4802?
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought mine this weekend... paid $2200 plus tax from a brick and mortar. I probably overpaid, but the salesman was ultra helpful and I didn't mind paying a premium. Can't wait to hook it up and start torturing it.
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks