Got a call and was told I won a free dish and receiver, good deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jan 17, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have never had sattelite tv before. I got a call last night and was told I won a Direct TV dish, receiver and free installation. I know they are just trying to get me to sign up(just like the free cell phone deal) and they require a 1 year subscription. Anyway, I thought this might be a possiblility. I would like to have sat tv. Is direct tv the best? All i'm looking for is a cheap standard cable package, I don't need a lot of premium channels and such. Should I jump on this deal?

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I know some cable companies are offering something but I don't think I ever heard of satellite dealers offering free satellite systems via phone. In other words, they usually advertise to everyone as a promo. I personally don't like to respond to telephones solicitations because there is no way of telling how legit it is.

3. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Jeff, I think the cheapest package they have now is Total Choice for $31.99.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Dmitry,

Do you have direct TV? How is it in this area(SJ)? Are the local channels good too?

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Jeff,

I do have DirecTV and locals. The locals quality is uneven -- it varies not only from channel to channel, but could vary within the channel as well. However even with the best channels you can always instantly tell it's digital and the grass on the football field never looks like grass. But I wouldn't ever call it unwatchable.