What's new

Got 7.1 audio! Now what? (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Well Nick, I stand corrected. I remember discussions about the theory of a ceiling channel, but was unaware it had been tested in an actual theater.

However, if you read the press information you linked to, you'll find that a new mix was created for this test/release and the original 5.1 mix did not include this information. As to whether the DVD includes the new mix or the theatrical mix I can't say. But, the DVD came out a full month before this test/release of the new mix. I would suspect that therefore, the DVD does not contain this mix.

Regarding whether some people have "heard" this channel, I would point out that most 5.1 mixes will decode a rear center channel whenever the two rear channels contain coherent in-phase information. That doesn't mean it was mixed to decode, but merely that it *does* decode.

-greg

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding whether some people have "heard" this channel, I would point out that most 5.1 mixes will decode a rear center channel whenever the two rear channels contain coherent in-phase information. That doesn't mean it was mixed to decode, but merely that it *does* decode.
BTW, it's also true that there are discs that aren't labeled as having having a discrete (intentionally encoded) rear channel, but it is nevertheless faithfully carried over from the theatrical soundtrack.

Whether a true rear channel is being decoded or whether it's being inferred by your decoder, the net effect is a more enveloping soundstage. IMHO, if the only time you could hear info out of the rear channels was from a true ES/ES mix then it would hardly be worth plugging in the extra speakers.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Hmmmm,
So I'm assuming they took another Dolby SA10 DD EX processor and hooked it up to the Front Center and the EX rear center and output this newly derived channel out to the new ceiling speakers. Then any Inphase mono info that is shared by the Front Center and the Rear Center is placed up there. Seems like that would work for the most part as a flyby would go from the front center to the EX channel and thus be fed to the ceiling channel as it's moving.

Looks like I need another Prologic receiver in my system!

I think I will be trying this!

Wes

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Wes - In phase coherent audio (ie - the same frequency and gain information in both rear channels) is steered to the rear center channel. Out of phase coherent audio is steered to the ceiling speaker. (At least that's how I'm reading the material.)

-greg

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Okay,
I'm trying to figure out how I would use a spare Dolby Pro-Logic receiver to decode this "new" channel ...

If I fed it LR and RR, analog, line-level wouldn't it decode the EX channel? How would I feed it to let it decode the overhead channel?

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
In addition to rear center channeling...also get ready for addition of front height and ceiling channels! The more, the merrier... :D
-THTS

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Logic7 on this reciever can only be applied to a 2 channel or less Stereo mix..... You can not apply it to a 5.1 source.... You can however apply it on a Lexicon product with any source...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks